Sign in to follow this  
WISMAK

OpenGL What's special about D3D?

I'm not experienced in Direct3D neither in OpenGL but till now what can be done in one is possible in the other except for the "HW" willingness to support that feature mostly in OpenGL. The API and at least the way it works "COM" is inefficinet.COM suits general purpose non speed critical applications. They could change the API into something like DrawPrimitive instead of d3d->DrawPrimitive. HLSL???? No comment. Very ugly more than the API it belongss to. Not cross platform! At least do ports to all platforms and the HW driver provided by the HV should be intact. I'm not flaming a war of "this versus that" or trying to critisise. I want Direct3D to get much better than it's now.

i concur, flameware imminent

In short, in programming there is often no real-best way of doing something unless you're being uber pedatic.

The only noticable bonus with DX is that its more firmly linked with HW vendors and gets the latest techs slightly quicker. But even so OGL is not far behind.

ace

Closed.

I'd also like to thank you guys for not engaging in a flamewar - it's definitely good to see that the community is mature enough to know when and when not to participate.

You guys make moderation a piece of cake [smile]