[web] What do I have to know for web development ?

Started by
25 comments, last by Talonz 18 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by cpp_boy
One more question please. As I understand, when I'm using .NET I dont have to know html, I can just do c#, or there is some point in which I still have to know html (I'm total n00b in web dev so dont be angry)

start with HTML do not worry about anything else for now. You _must_ know HTML if you want to do web dev. It's infinitely easier than .NET or C# and it's learning will occupy you for at least a few weeks.

-me
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Palidine
it's learning will occupy you for at least a few weeks.

C'mon, that's nearly an insult!
html is a must for web development.

once you have learnt one scripting lanuage its fairly easy to learn another one.

my list would include this.

firm grip of how the web works
Html/xhtml
css
how databases work
SQL
Scripting lanuage asp, asp.net, php, perl etc

once you have mastered these get your self a portfolio.
If you are going to go into any sort of job, lets look past the technical stuff, shall we? Web development is more than just putting together your knowledge of a few languages. If you are going to be doing this seriously, you need to get in on the industry and keep up to date with the latest best practices. This should be something you get used to early, i.e. as you are learning the languages. Learning best practices later is unnatural. You might argue that this is not required, but many reasons the web is in the state it is today is because of LAZY developers and BAD browsers that cater to those lazy developers.

Simply saying "I want to become a web developer." is much too vague. What is that you want to do, specifically? Build you own website to document your newborn or excel to the top to become a solution provider (gotta love them buzzwords) for the big guys? I would compare your statement to "I want to build a MMORPG" which most of us find insulting around here. This may or may not have been your intention, but even if it wasn't it shows a lack of initiative on your part. After all, people who don't even know how to use the web shouldn't be building the web, should they? This is why you have gotten some "snobbish" remarks.
First, learn HTML (and by extension CSS too, the current standard for new web pages). You can do this right on your own computer without even installing a webserver. Do not proceed until you have a firm understand of HTML and CSS, as well as gone over the basics of DHTML and &#106avascript.

Most likely you will be using a database, so you'll want to learn SQL next. Do not install MySQL at this point. Regardless of if you are going to use a LAMP/WAMP setup later on, it would be far better for you to learn standard SQL first, rather then have to unlearn bad stuff later (basically stay away from MySQL and Microsoft Access).

Options include SQL Server (Google for MSDN 2000, this is the free version), Postgre, Firebird, or if you have PHP you probably already have SQLite installed (SQLite is "light" as it implies, a fast embedded database that fits into a 100KB DLL).

Keywords to look for while learning SQL include "normalization" (please properly learn normalization, nobody wants to have to fix a website whose database looks like an Excel spreadsheet), "primary/foreign key", elements of ACID ("transactions", "contraints")

After all that you can figure out a server side platform to start learning, like PHP, ASP, ASP.NET, JSP (Java), PERL, etc.
Fundamentals of Relational Database Design - a paper about implementing databases and the different techniques associated with it.
I'd include some &#106avascript in your studies aswell. I've done done a few websites for people, and companies, and I've found that some standard knowledge of &#106avascript for simple functions or animations to be very handy and quick to do.
Quote:Original post by Daedalus AI
I'd include some &#106avascript in your studies aswell. I've done done a few websites for people, and companies, and I've found that some standard knowledge of &#106avascript for simple functions or animations to be very handy and quick to do.<!--QUOTE--></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE><!--/QUOTE--><!--ENDQUOTE--><br><br><br>Can I use C# as scripting language (I'm very good in c#), or I must master &#106avascript ?<br>
Can I use C# as scripting language (I'm very good in c#), or I must master &#106avascript ?<!--QUOTE--></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE><!--/QUOTE--><!--ENDQUOTE-->Serverside, yes.<br>Clientside, no.<br>Daedalus AI was referring to &#106avascript as a clientside scripting language - it's great for confirmation dialogs/form checking/etc.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Quote:Original post by benryves
Can I use C# as scripting language (I'm very good in c#), or I must master &#106avascript ?<!--QUOTE--></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE><!--/QUOTE--><!--ENDQUOTE-->Serverside, yes.<br>Clientside, no.<br>Daedalus AI was referring to &#106avascript as a clientside scripting language - it's great for confirmation dialogs/form checking/etc.<!--QUOTE--></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE><!--/QUOTE--><!--ENDQUOTE--><br><br>As I see it, 99% of web-sites use &#106avascript, even microsoft site. I guess I must master it also. <br><br>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement