[web] What do I have to know for web development ?

Started by
25 comments, last by Talonz 18 years, 8 months ago
Hello. Can you please give me the complete list of things that I have to know for professional web development.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Ekim_Gram
The Forum FAQ is usually a nice place to start off.
Quite fitting that this is a web dev forum, really... [smile]

FAQ

Anyway, I guess the most important thing would be a firm grasp of basic HTML and CSS. A good knowledge of a scripting language is useful - PHP and ASP are both pretty straightforwards. Talking to a database is something you'll do a lot of in a lot of web development stuff, so being comfortable with SQL is always useful.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Ok. If I want to take the .NET path, what are the things that I have to know to be able to implement server/client sides (at professional level). Please try to give me the complete list.
I would say probably some of the biggest things in professional development of any kind is:

a) Knowing how to research for yourself.
b) Knowing how to learn for yourself.
c) Being self-sufficient.

Obviously that isn't the complete list, but you can research the others on your own quite easily.

Asking what you need to know is a little redundant, as you need to know how to build what the client wants and to be able to do it on time and on a budget.
Quote:Original post by Saruman
I would say probably some of the biggest things in professional development of any kind is:

Obviously that isn't the complete list, but you can research the others on your own quite easily.

Asking what you need to know is a little redundant, as you need to know how to build what the client wants and to be able to do it on time and on a budget.

...Snob...
Start with just basic html then move on from there into more advanced topics and technologies.
Quote:Original post by SKATIN_HARD
Start with just basic html then move on from there into more advanced topics and technologies.

So, knowing html is a must, right ?
Quote:Original post by cpp_boy
Quote:Original post by SKATIN_HARD

So, knowing html is a must, right ?

Yes it is. You can kind of compare it with the foundation for a house.

You need a basic understanding of HTML to be able to do any real web development.
Check out the W3 Schools' tutorials: W3 Schools were you'll find tutorials on HTML, XML, Browser scripting, Server scripting, .NET, Multimedia and Web Building.
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
Quote:Original post by cpp_boy
Quote:Original post by Saruman

...Snob...
Like it or not, Saruman is right.
For example, I do professional web development but have never looked into ASP.NET - namely because the systems we're developing work fine on cheap servers with old versions of PHP/MySQL. Does the fact that I don't know ASP.NET make me any worse at what I do? Not in my case, as the clients wouldn't know what the differences between ASP/ASP.NET/JSP/PHP/whatever were. They just want a system. You can't really make a list of things you "have" to know - apart from the very basics like HTML. Of course, I'll probably look into ASP.NET at some point in the future and if I can see a reason to use it and have a client who is willing to pay that little extra for ASP.NET hosting, so be it. Knowing what is available and being able to research a number of different options to try and fit what you want available to you into the budget is the important bit.

Of course, I could just list what I consider to be my useful skills for my job, and these are:

- Knowledge on how to set up a webserver. IIS under Windows and Apache. Seeing as we buy our hosting with the servers set up already, using .htaccess for our configuration is important. However, for local testing it's often much easier to use a locally running web server.
- Using SQL. Setting up MySQL, organising databases (the database structure is pretty important if you don't want to end up with an annoying and clunky design!)
- Scripting: PHP and ASP.
- Basic HTML and CSS.

Oh, and:

- Knowing how to use a search engine to find out about things that client requests, to see if we can integrate them with the system.

I can't think of anything else I need to know in my line of work. With all of the above, I seem to get by fine. [smile]

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

One more question please. As I understand, when I'm using .NET I dont have to know html, I can just do c#, or there is some point in which I still have to know html (I'm total n00b in web dev so dont be angry)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement