Sign in to follow this  
redneon

Book and site recommendation?

I'm looking for a good games programming book which uses C++ and OpenGL. I've had a look through the books section on this site but to be honest I'm a bit overwhelmed at the amount of books there are (some of them are a bit old too) and was wondering if anybody could recommend a good book? I'd also be interested in getting some links to some good websites for C++ and OpenGL programming. I'm fairly fluent in C++ but don't know much OpenGL at all.

Check out NeHe for some good free OpenGL tutorials using C++ (there are also ports to numerous other languages for most of the tutorials).

A couple of good ebooks:
The Red Book (OpenGL Programming Guide)
The Blue Book (OpenGL Reference Manual)

Beginning OpenGL Game Programming is a very good book that you'll find highly recommended.

Hope that helps you. [smile]

Thanks for the help. I'll take a look at those. I thought the red and blue books were both reference type manuals though? I didn't think they were tutorial types.

Quote:
Original post by redneon
I thought the red and blue books were both reference type manuals though? I didn't think they were tutorial types.

Pretty much, but still very useful.

Quote:
Original post by Kazgoroth
A couple of good ebooks:
The Red Book (OpenGL Programming Guide)
The Blue Book (OpenGL Reference Manual)

The only thing to be aware of with the online versions is that they are fairly old. If you can afford it you might be better off buying the latest edition in paper format. However, read the Red book before the Blue one.

Quote:
Beginning OpenGL Game Programming is a very good book that you'll find highly recommended.

Absolutely. This is the first book to get for OpenGL game dev (it's cheap too, amazon sells it new for $19). After this look through the red book.

Quote:
you might be better off buying the latest edition in paper format.

I actually have a copy of the latest edition red book. I was just looking for something more tutorial-like. I have the OpenGL Super Bible too but I wasn't too impressed with that.

Quote:
Absolutely. This is the first book to get for OpenGL game dev (it's cheap too, amazon sells it new for $19). After this look through the red book.

Unfortunately for me, I live in the UK and it's not available on amazon.co.uk for some reason. Also, books have a literal price so it would cost me £19 which is round-about $38. Yes, twice the price (us English get screwed). I may have to try and get it imported...