.dds file format any heads up I should know...

Started by
13 comments, last by MARS_999 18 years, 8 months ago
Quote:I am currently using .tga files and am thinking you can't use .tga for cubemaps?

nothing stops u using a tga jpg whatever to create a cubemap heres one way i do it
GLuint givemecubemapTexture( const char sides[6][256], const GLint wr

u pass in 6 different textures for the sides
Advertisement
So what texture format is everyone here using for cubemaps as their format? Yeah Phantom get in gear!! ;) I myself have limited time as for I work 7 days a week and do not have much time to code...
For cube maps, you can save 6 separate TGA images. I've done this before; just find the "." and insert _+x, _-x, _+y etc before the period, so you end up with "forestbox_+x.tga," "forestbox_-x.tga", ...

However, I use DDS for everything, because that's the only format that stores DXT1/DXT5 data. You want to NOT decompress DXT1; instead, you want to create a compressed texture and put the data directly to the card; this makes texturing much faster (as there's less bits to read per texel).
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Quote:Original post by MARS_999
So what texture format is everyone here using for cubemaps as their format? Yeah Phantom get in gear!! ;) I myself have limited time as for I work 7 days a week and do not have much time to code...

*chuckles* I'm working on it [grin], hopefully I get a bit done tonight before I goto bed and then I'll get on it tomorrow (my distraction is out of town)
Quote:Original post by _the_phantom_
Quote:Original post by MARS_999

(my distraction is out of town)

LOL A.K.A. Wife/Girlfriend...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement