.dds file format any heads up I should know...

Started by
13 comments, last by MARS_999 18 years, 8 months ago
I am currently using .tga files and am thinking you can't use .tga for cubemaps? or 3D textures? Is that correct? If so can one just code up a loader for .dds files or is it locked out? Also how hard is it to code a .dds loader? Thanks
Advertisement
you can get DDS working right from the specs over at MSDN I've done that myself and it's really not that hard, but I think there's free image loading libraries with DDS support available too, [google] can probably help you.
HardDrop - hard link shell extension."Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - Yeats
Quote:Original post by DigitalDelusion
you can get DDS working right from the specs over at MSDN I've done that myself and it's really not that hard, but I think there's free image loading libraries with DDS support available too, [google] can probably help you.

Thanks, but what about cubemap or 3D texture support in .tga files???
DDS is pretty easy, the spec are over on the MSDN site as DigitalDelusion said (DSS loader).

I'd beware of the free image loaders however, FreeImage looks like it decompresses them! and doesnt look like it has sane support for mipmaps/cubemaps/3d textures. God knows what DevIL does with them (the interface put me off looking much further), afaik SDL_Image doesnt support them and Corona doesnt either.

I have plans afoot to get my own image loader supporting DDS + other image types working, however I'm a bit behind where I wanted to be right now and I dare say you cant wait [grin]. If ya intrested however keep an eye on my journal as I'll be waffling about it from time to time...

edit: tga are just normal 2d images
edit: seems like my guesstimate was um, well crap so ignore this post.
Quote:Original post by MARS_999
Thanks, but what about cubemap or 3D texture support in .tga files???

I haven't actually experimented with cubemaps or had the need for 3D textures myself so I can't help you with that. But basicly there shouldn't be a problem, I seriously can't imagine one anyhow, sure maybe you would need to convert to some funky data layout or something but that seems a bit, well, strange too.

A 3D texture should just be a lot of 2D ones stacked so that shouldn't be a problem and a cube map as far as I know isn't anything more complex than 6diffrent textures (one for each cube side) stored togheter.

I could be way off though.
HardDrop - hard link shell extension."Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - Yeats
bool	cTexture::LoadDDS(const char *filename){	DDSURFACEDESC2	ddsd;	char				filecode[4];	int				factor;	int				bufferSize;	int				format;	FILE				*file=NULL;	file = fopen(filename, "rb");	// Verify the file is a true .dds file	fread(&filecode, 1, 4, file);	if( strncmp( filecode, "DDS ", 4 ) != 0 )	{		DebugManager->Print(Error, __FUNCTION__, "\"%s\" is not a valid .dds file !", filename);		return false;	}	// Get the surface descriptor	fread(&ddsd, 1, sizeof(ddsd), file);	//	// Type de compression	switch(ddsd.ddpfPixelFormat.dwFourCC)	{	case FOURCC_DXT1:		// DXT1's compression ratio is 8:1		format = GL_COMPRESSED_RGBA_S3TC_DXT1_EXT;		factor = 2;		break;	case FOURCC_DXT3:		// DXT3's compression ratio is 4:1		format = GL_COMPRESSED_RGBA_S3TC_DXT3_EXT;		factor = 4;		break;	case FOURCC_DXT5:		// DXT5's compression ratio is 4:1		format = GL_COMPRESSED_RGBA_S3TC_DXT5_EXT;		factor = 4;		break;	default:		TODO("The file \"%s\" doesn't appear to be compressed using DXT1, DXT3, or DXT5!", filename);		fclose(file);		return false;		break;	}	//	// Taille du buffer	//	if(!ddsd.dwLinearSize)	{		DebugManager->Print(Error, __FUNCTION__, "ddsd.dwLinearSize is 0 !");		fclose(file);		return false;	}	if (ddsd.dwMipMapCount > 1)	bufferSize = ddsd.dwLinearSize * factor;	else									bufferSize = ddsd.dwLinearSize;	ImageData = new unsigned char[bufferSize];	memset(ImageData, 0, bufferSize);	int ret = 0;	ret = fread(ImageData, 1, bufferSize, file);	fclose(file);	// Sauvegarde les infos	Width			= ddsd.dwWidth;	Height		= ddsd.dwHeight;	if(ddsd.ddpfPixelFormat.dwFourCC == FOURCC_DXT1 )	PixelFormat = PF_RGB;	else																PixelFormat = PF_RGBA;	//	// Generation de la texture	glGenTextures(1, (GLuint *)&GLid);	glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GLid);	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR );	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR );	// Chargement des mipmaps	int nSize			= 0;	int nOffset			= 0;	int nHeight			= Height;	int nWidth			= Width;	int nNumMipMaps	= ddsd.dwMipMapCount;	int nBlockSize		= format == GL_COMPRESSED_RGBA_S3TC_DXT1_EXT ? 8 : 16;	for( unsigned long i = 0; i < ddsd.dwMipMapCount; ++i )	{		if( nWidth  == 0 ) nWidth  = 1;		if( nHeight == 0 ) nHeight = 1;		nSize = ((nWidth+3)/4) * ((nHeight+3)/4) * nBlockSize;		glCompressedTexImage2DARB( GL_TEXTURE_2D,			i,			format,			nWidth,			nHeight,			0,			nSize,			ImageData + nOffset );		nOffset += nSize;		// Moitie de la taille pour le prochain mipmap...		nWidth  /= 2;		nHeight /= 2;	}	 	 return true;}
- Iliak -
[ ArcEngine: An open source .Net gaming framework ]
[ Dungeon Eye: An open source remake of Eye of the Beholder II ]
Quote:Original post by _the_phantom_
I'd beware of the free image loaders however, FreeImage looks like it decompresses them!
Pardon my ignorance, but isn't that what you want the image loader to do, decompress the image and load it into a buffer/surface/whatever-you-use-in-API-of-choice?

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

I'd beware of the free image loaders however, FreeImage looks like it decompresses them! and doesnt look like it has sane support for mipmaps/cubemaps/3d textures.

Um, that's like exactly what Im doing to... OTOH I need them for pixel purposes so I really can't do it any other way but just out of curiosity how do you get OGL to actually swallow the compressed data? Im guessing extension but which one?
@benryves

not really, its fine for general image mipulation but given that both D3D and OGL can deal with DXT compressed textures directly. Stuff like PNG/JPG/etc needs to be converted however,its just with DDS it makes no sense when working on a game.

@DigitalDelusion

The GL_ARB_texture_compression extension allows you to load data directly to the gfx card if its supported (it was promoted to core in OpenGL 1.3 so should be widely avaiable), and both NV and ATI cards have excellent support for DXT compressed textures ofcourse. It also supports ATI's normal map compression (ATI X800 and NV G70 cards onwards).
@DigitalDelusion

The GL_ARB_texture_compression extension allows you to load data directly to the gfx card if its supported (it was promoted to core in OpenGL 1.3 so should be widely avaiable), and both NV and ATI cards have excellent support for DXT compressed textures ofcourse. It also supports ATI's normal map compression (ATI X800 and NV G70 cards onwards).

Ah, wonderful! thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement