Sign in to follow this  
Lutz

FBOs and ATI?

Hey, does anyone know any news about ATI's support for the frame buffer object extension? As far as I know, only NVidia supports it by now and ATI wanted to support it in the "near future". That's 4 months ago now or so.

Quote:
Original post by Lutz
Hey,

does anyone know any news about ATI's support for the frame buffer object extension?
As far as I know, only NVidia supports it by now and ATI wanted to support it in the "near future".
That's 4 months ago now or so.
With the Catalyst 5.7 drivers my Radeon 9500 Pro has it in the extension string. I haven't got around to testing it out yet however, so I don't know how good/bad their current implementation is.

Oh really? That's great! Didn't find it anywhere in the release notes.
I guess it's time for a driver update.

Goodbye P-Buffers!

The Cat5.7's do indeed have more or less full support for the FBO extension. You cant do render to depth texture as the hardware physically cant do it (ARB are working on a combined depth-stencil texture format however so it could well become viable at some point) and the mipmap generation doesnt work as yet (apprently this is fixed however).

Other than that it seems to work fine in my useage of it, including rendering to non-power-of-two textures [smile]

*waves goodbye to pbuffers*

edit: you wont find extension related stuff in the release notes, its only vague fixes for games. I do wish that both NV and ATI would release a programmers set of release notes as well but I guess its too much effort for them todo so (time wise)

Good gods! and now that i've finally gotten my buggy PBuffer class working i find out i have the framebuffer extension......