Sign in to follow this  
Wardyahh

RPG Fight Engine

Hi i'm looking to build an rpg fight engine but i require some information as to how the attack and defence calculations are figured out any hints or links woudl be greatly appreciated thank you

What exactly do you mean by "attack and defense calculations"?

Assuming you want to figure out how much damage each player recieves and inflicts from an attack...

Most games have a number of variables like speed, strength, armor, accuracy, etc. So you would just come up with an equation like this:

(player 1 attacks player 2)

player2 health = (player1 strength + player1 accuracy) - player2 speed - player2 armor

Then you could tweak the different variables with multiplication and stuff, and don't forget to add a random factor in there. That way even a low-power player has a chance at hitting a weak spot on a higher-power player.

Hope this is what you're looking for. Good luck!

Hi! I am starting to work on a very similar subsystem. I take inspiration from AD&D rules. Anyway they are very difficult to cope with. I mean, very very complicated, with a lot of variable inside... I think one should first define the complete set of characteristics one wants the player and NPCs be given to... And after that hack widely known rules to fit accordingly... If u are interested i wish to collaborate on that. I am on my own now.

Let me know!

Best regards.

keep in mind that you don't want to see 276 over and over again on a bad guy
most rpg's randomise the damage a little bit

if the calc vs def ends up to be 678 make it like 25 in ether or direcetion
like 400 - 800

just trying to help =P

I wouldn't recommend exactly copying how they did it, but this link is an interesting read about how the combat system in Final Fantasy Tactics works.

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/file/final_fantasy_tactics_battle_mechanics.txt

thanks a lot for the help guys very informative

for the record it was to do with the battle mechanics calculations when taking into account all the different stats(atk,def,etc..)

oh and as regards to your reply unsilentstorm at the moment i am working of calculations just in theory for a thesis at college, however if you want to e-mail me what you have so far i would gladly add any comments i may have, as i'm more of a calculations person i might be able to help with them :)

pm me and i'll give you my e-mail