Sign in to follow this  
Crash X Studios

First 3D Game Development

We've had two years experience in 2D game developing with Mark Overmars Gamemaker, www.gamemaker.nl, and we believe we are ready to step into 3D game development. The Gamemaker 3D functions are currently improving with all future releases, but we are unsure to continue using Gamemaker for a new 3D game. Any ideas?

benryves    1999
Seeing as this site has quite a heavyweight technical background, one thing you could always do is switch to a more conventional general-purpose programming language and use 3D APIs directly (OpenGL or DirectX, for example) - at least that way you wouldn't be restricted by what functions Gamemaker offers.
Basically - are you happy using Game Maker, and can it support what you need it to do for your game? If so, fine, there is no real point in switching as it will only make things harder for you.
Programming is tougher than using a game-maker. However, that's tougher - it isn't really that difficult once you get into it.
I can't see any problems with using Game Maker. However, if you have plans to make a rival to Quake 4, then maybe I can see a problem with it.

Gamemaker includes its own language, GML, which we possibly think is powerful enough for developing our aimed FPS game, but we are slightly unsure at this moment as to what our game will actually require. We would probably stick with Gamemaker unless we were seriously thinking of making a publishing deal, and if which case, which software and language would you recommend?

Gamemaker can handle graphics engines, such as Irrchilit and physics engines as Tomakov.

benryves    1999
Quote:
Original post by Crash X Studios
...which software and language would you recommend?
I can only say what I like, and that's Microsoft's VisualStudio. As for a language, C++ is what I do all my game/graphics stuff in and VB.NET is what I do all my tools in. I just use them because they are familiar, rather than they are the best at their job (not saying they aren't - I just haven't had enough experience with other languages).