Sign in to follow this  

Answered before, can't find it (downloading a file)

This topic is 4516 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm positive that I've seen the answer for this before, but I can't seem to find it. I'm making a game, and I'd like the user to be able to connect and download new maps, databases, etc. I don't care what its done it (other than something using C++). Are there tutorials on this specific subject, or should I just look for Winsock and/or DirectPlay tutorials? [Edited by - Programmer16 on August 3, 2005 2:40:37 PM]

Probably the easiest method would be just to put your additional content on a normal HTTP server. Either do a virtual directory listing to check for additional content or add a file that you can parse to determine if there is new content to be had.

For HTTP client code you can look at http-get, a simple implementation of a HTTP client (mostly cross platform), or possibly wininet (for windows).

Yea, thats what we do (http-get), and plus, not only can you use it as a update server, you can also use it to distribute your files to your team very quickly. The downside is that anyone can download your files, because IP protecting is pointless even if you block all ip address's except your team-mates; Its because some use AOL or dont have static ips :/ Well, implanting a username/password would be good. Or, just use as an update server and dont distribute project files.

This topic is 4516 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.