Sign in to follow this  

Programming for Playdough

This topic is 4517 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I had been working on a simple graphical text adventure engine, and decided I needed to make a game for it to put it through its paces. Uh-oh, graphics. I'm a borderline/budding artist, but at that point I was not in a drawing mood. Thankfully, I found a solution. Taking a little creative inspiration from The Neverhood, I bought some playdough and grabbed my digital camera. I was very satisfied with the results, and suggest everyone try it at least once. There's a base satisfaction in working with malleable goop. It's cheap, most people forget how *FUN* it can be, and it's fast. Within an hour I had sculpted, photographed, and edited a character in several different poses for the game. Anyone interested can find a few examples of the results here. So is there still room in game graphics for non-cgi? What other ways can we produce creative content? Has anyone tried anything similar? Have I spent so much time with video games that I'm regressing? Thanks for reading!

Nice idea. Another game whose graphics are totally based on clay modelled animations is the side scrolling shooter Platypus, you can check it out at the following link:
Platypus

CGI can be expensive and time-consuming, clay modelling is a great idea, other options include using real-life photography and video for your graphics.

This topic is 4517 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.