I'm quitting

Started by
26 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 5 months ago
Dear God and other staff.

I have been an avid player in Life: The online RPG™ for some time now, recently reaching level 23. But over time, the many bugs, poor design, and flat out cheating by other players has driven me to leave this game. Time and time again we have been promised patches, fixes, changes to the unbalanced gameplay, but over the period of nearly 200 expansion packs, some of the most basic flaws are yet to be fixed.

PK’ing – No contested areas?
Although I have not been a victim to this yet, the blatant killing that goes on around the servers is getting out of control. Perhaps the worst of this is the incident you are no doubt aware of, is before I started playing. It was when the Iron Age expansion pack was released, the clan ‘Rome’ recruited nearly the entire server, wiping out too many accounts to be counted. The blatant killing and looting of characters is way too easy, and with most characters having a fixed armour class of 0, it’s possible to die from a level 1 mosquito, even if you are level 70! I doubt this is the heroic death many had in mind when they paid the subscription fee. Of course we are promised upon death that we will be transferred to a new server which is essentially a sandbox mode, but this is not enough. We can’t even take any of our items or money with us! This brings me to my next point

Hardcore mode should be optional
It has always been known that all characters in Life™ can only die once, which has been the cause for more problems that the staff care to admit. We spend a long time building up out characters, and then some idiot comes along with a gun he purchased and kills someone’s character outright. The staff have always claimed this is how the game was designed from the beginning, but it has been rumoured that the first two characters on the server made it to level 600 without dying. Then one of the staff (God I think) suddenly banned their accounts, and out of nowhere, hardcore mode is enabled.

Lack of races
Ever since the start of Life™, we have been stuck with one race to choose from: Human. We have had 200 expansion packs, seen billions of NPC animals introduced, and we still only get one choice: lame ass human. It was hoped back in version 200.1947 that the possible introduction of aliens may be a new race for us to play, but I should have expected the staff to screw us over. Once again the staff back flipped, and claimed they never added aliens to the game, ever, despite testimonies from those at the scene, and irrefutable evidence that I assume exists somwhere.

Unbalanced classes
When I started playing, I was shocked to find that upon first logging in I was expected to choose my character class. Having no idea of how the game worked yet, I had no idea what job I wanted to do, so I chose the default: Shit Kicker. Now I find out this is the worst class to choose (yet not surprisingly the most popular), and get yelled at by everyone I meet. I get bog standard skills like ‘Fix sink’, ‘replace tap’ and ‘beat wife’, while other characters who are playing classes such as military leader get access to thousands of minigames (like the newly added content ‘Battlefields 2005’), they get to wage war against other server shards, all because they chose that class at the start. This is totally unfair, and we should at least be given a readme file to read in the 9 months it takes the game to load.

Hackers
Ever since that bullshit ‘Parting of The Red Sea’ hack that Moses used, many players have been complaining about the use of staff allowed hacks. It would seem that unless you use the hack in favour of the staff, you get banned. Example: The time some players decided to change their models to look like demons. According to their blog, one of the admins came down onto the server and banned them on the spot! Oh, and what about other such wonderful hacks like the player ‘Hercules’ was using. The staff said this was a special ability that he unlocked at a certain level, but everyone knows it was just a blatant trainer running in the background. Unless the staff stop all hacks or figure out a fair system, I can’t see any reason to stay.

Despite token efforts on part of some of the staff, such as releasing the 10 terms of agreement which made things like PK’ing and looting a bannable offence, very little has changed. I for one call for a full server reset. The staff have done it once before, and I say we need it again. Until that stage, I am closing my account.

boolean
Level 23 human.

just fixed a typo

[Edited by - boolean on August 2, 2005 9:12:20 PM]
Advertisement
That is the funniest thing I have ever read. :)
[lol]

With comments like that, I don't know wether I should be happy, or worried for humanity!
Really brilliant actually; a post post modern existintial diatribe steeped in social stereotypes and pop culture archetypes. Very nice. ;P

------------------<a href="http://jsgc.sourceforge.net>jsgc
OMG that was awsome. Hey if they respond post their response please. Well unless the response is being banned without warning in that case it was a heck of alot of fun having you around man.
Gor435 - My Journal - MySpace - Facebook

Hmmm, and I thought that UO was run by a bunch of idiots.

Is there a link to a website for this game?? I cant seem to find it via
Yahoo....
I need some sleep - it took me until halfway in the text before i got the joke.

Fun stuff - great read [smile]
"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
funniest thing i've heard this week, good one! [lol]
If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0You don't stop playing because you get old; you get old when you stop playing.
Hahahahaha! Geniusness. [smile]

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement