Next

Started by
2 comments, last by skulldrudgery 18 years, 8 months ago
I have finished my beginners books in C++. I understand the concepts of classes, inheritance and polymorphism, etc., even though I don't have the required experience to know when to apply them. I've tried making games while learning, but after some difficulties I decided to learn as much about how to program before I even approached games. Anyway, I am learning independently, so I don't have a prof I can get assignments and exercises from. Could anyone reccommend some "projects" for me that require these sort of techniques? I could also use some links for reading on intermediate topics. I am not really interested in the mechanics of the language anymore. I need something more about implementing the techniques and concepts, rather than the syntax or the language features. I feel like completing some projects/"assignments" is my top priority right now, but I can be persuaded by the more experienced. Thanks in advance.
skulldrudgery--A tricky bit of toil
Advertisement
Try this site. It shows how to create some of the most foundational games in an easy to understand manner.
What you don't want to do, and I'm guilty of it, is to spend too much time designing and worrying about your design. Just code and try and complete a few projects. Afterwards, look at them and think about what was easy, hard, what you would do differently next time and what really worked.

I find it also helps to keep a development journal of stuff your working on. I use Livejournal's private posting options for mine. It's all setup so all I have to do is post something. When I get stuck I just make an entry on what I'm stuck on or just a few thoughts and sometimes it helps me make sense of what I'm doing.

Sorry for the shameless Livejournal plug. I plan on becoming a GDNet+ member very soon.
Might I suggest Pong?

Some names of classes to get you started thinking (obviously overkill for Pong, but you are trying to implement C++ concepts mainly)

Renderable
Renderer
Paddle IS A Renderable
Ball IS A Renderable
Scoreboard IS A Renderable
Player HAS A Paddle
Game HAS A Renderer, Scoreboard, Ball, Players

Just some ideas that should make a little bit of sense if you understand the basics of OO design (ie inheritance and composition).

EDIT: Would like to point out my suggestion is the exact opposite of caseyd's. I feel both are valid methods (infact I learned mostly the way caseyd suggested), its just approaching the problem from two different angles. Depending on the type of learner you are one may suit you better than the other. Good luck :)
Quote:Might I suggest Pong?

Some names of classes to get you started thinking (obviously overkill for Pong, but you are trying to implement C++ concepts mainly)

Renderable
Renderer
Paddle IS A Renderable
Ball IS A Renderable
Scoreboard IS A Renderable
Player HAS A Paddle
Game HAS A Renderer, Scoreboard, Ball, Players

Just some ideas that should make a little bit of sense if you understand the basics of OO design (ie inheritance and composition).

EDIT: Would like to point out my suggestion is the exact opposite of caseyd's. I feel both are valid methods (infact I learned mostly the way caseyd suggested), its just approaching the problem from two different angles. Depending on the type of learner you are one may suit you better than the other. Good luck :)
I'm looking for something a little less game-related. I really want to know programming before I take a stab at games again.

But, the allure...of game making. Too strong. Losing will to...learn boring stuff......

I like the dev journal idea a lot. Thanks for the suggestions.
skulldrudgery--A tricky bit of toil

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement