• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
HebrewHammer

Game Dev Schools

This topic is 4849 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The first thing I did was read the article on game dev. schools and searched the forum b/c I know how much people hate when people post about the same thing over and over again, but I couldn't find what I was looking for in any posts. I am currently beginning my senior year in high school and looking for colleges for game programming. I read the Game Dev School Guide, but im still unsure about a couple of things. First, I have already taken AP Comp. Science in school and got college credit for it, I'm not sure that Full Sail or any other Game dev. will accept it though. I am now taking Comp. Science AB, but seeing how these are all about java I am currently teaching myself C++. Should I go to a regular college first then a Game Dev school? Is one really preferred over the other? I read that alot of people quit FullSail after a semester or so b/c it wasn't what they thought it would be, but I love programming games and not just designing them. Or is just going to a Game Dev. school good also? I was recently at their website and I think they now offer a 4-year BS degree in game programming. I live in Texas and I heard the UT at Dallas has a Game Dev. department, I tried going to their website and searching the web but I couldn't find any info it, if any knows about UT at Dallas I would appreciate it. Thanx for your help.

Advertisement
Overall I would highly recommend getting a traditional BSCS at a respected school in your metropolitan area. I would believe that it allows much more flexibility for landing a first job. After that, a master's program in either computer graphics or computer game development will then move you toward the specialty you're looking for.

Also, many more universities and even community colleges are beginning programs for game development. Depaul in Chicago just started a BS program in it and their MS program is starting up with the next few quarters. Digipen and Full Sail are going to have some competition, and overall I'd say that's a good thing.

OMG, thank you. I would hjave never found that school in Dallas. thats freakin perfect b/c I was looking to go to the University of Texas at Dallas! Is this school accredit? B/c I have never heard of it before. THANX!

As i say with alot of people, Full Sail is a good choice simply because they give you the knowledge you need specifically for game develop. Granted you can also take the degree and head over to any programming job, banks, simulation, etc. People tend to leave full sail no because they arent getting the informaion they thought, but because they cant hack it. I attend full sail and alot of the kids I see come through...expect it to be a breeze. Which its not...its 40+ hours a week balls to the wall with no room to be lazy. Which is what turns alot of people off. You need to be wildly dedicated and eyes on the prize when you go to full sail. If you want any more nfo pm me i can tell you all you need to know. Good luck with your search for the school thats right for you.

Digipen, Full Sail, and Guildhall seem to be the bigger names out there right now. Although most lesser known places are starting to teach game design. You would have to just search a bit to find them. Here is a list to get you started.

The biggest decision I have to make is whether to go to a regular college first then a Game Dev. specific place like FullSail or just straight into a Game Dev. school. And I do love programming and really want to be able to develop games and I'm ready to do a crap load of work and go through the long haul. A question for the people who go to FullSail: What courses are you taking and what type of work is it? Like writing programs or what? Also, how is the campus there, very "college friendly"? Thanx for all your help I really appreciate it!

Full Sail is a lot of programming. Like Tang mentioned, its like 40 hours a week of class and labs. If you want to know the specific course selection, I think they'll send you a catalog if you ask them.
They don't really have a campus, they have a bunch of building where you go to class. You have to get your own apartment and stuff.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!