Sign in to follow this  
bengaltgrs

Character following textures.

There are several games out there that have either a texture directly below a character running around some terrain or a circle as the shadow of the character. As an example, observe the green circle below the selected character in this screenshot. http://www.counterfrag.com/screenshots/guild%20wars/2.jpg Or the circle to represent the shadow in this screenshot. http://www.portablereview.com/v3/screens/smds/m643.jpg I was wondering how to create such effects, such as whether they use shadow mapping or not. -Chris

The first pic looks to use full fledge shadow mapping. They may "cheat" by pre calculating the shadows and using them as decals on the terrain. The second pic most likely does this. It applys a black circle decal at some alpha level to create the illusion of a shadow.

Hi there bengaltgrs,
How are you doing?

[How can I create that circle (Selection circle)]
You can do this in a number of ways.
The one way I can think of right now that is probably the simplest is alpha blend a texture right at the players/entity's feet. Or you could use a shadowmapping technique which might be a little bloated for what you want to do... If you are refering to the circle around the player's feet.

[The Shadow (simple)]
A simple shadow can also be done by rendering a simple blurred quad beneath the player's feet. You could also try an alpha blended circle at like 30 - 50% oppacity depending on the darkness of the shadow.

I hope this helps. :)

Quote:
Original post by bengaltgrs
I see, so simply creating a black circle at maybe 50% opacity would actually pass as a convincing shadow?

Maybe not convincing, but enough for a simple game. That particular game is cartoon based and realism is not what they are after... It is still a fairly simple effect that can look decent with minimal performance loss.