Is this a good way to start learning?

Started by
5 comments, last by Asheh 18 years, 8 months ago
I am ready to expand my knowledge from just modeling 3D characters and levels to actually learning programming to turn them into games. I understand programming is not something you become a pro at over night and that it takes years to get a real game together. My idea to start programming with was to make "mini games" that would require the player to do a certain task. Kind of like Nintendo's Mario Party mini games, but not with the characters. One of the mini game ideas I had was for players to slowly walk thier character off of a pond of ice that is melting without falling in. That alone sounds boring, so I thought to also add maybe some falling snowballs that break holes in the ice and can hit your character. So what i am basically asking here, is would making little mini games like these be a good way to start learning? I also heard from someone that this would be a bad idea as each mini game would take forever to script.
Advertisement
I think this is _the_ way to learn. Most people try to write a MMORPG as their first thing, which is a very bad thing since you shouldn't take try to do something that takes 5-10 years for a giant team of professionals as your first project.

I say, write minigames until your heart explodes! =D Everyone prefers one complete minigame over one hardly working uberbiggame ;)
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]
I agree with Seriema and I post here again on same idea only to strengthen it. Minigames have almost the same structure as a 'big game' - so you will learn the fundation well, are fun and will teach you that a finished and very polished game worth more than the 'greatest idea ever alpha game' (never finished).

Good luck and don't lose patience in the process! ;)
-----------------------------How to create atmosphere? Bring in EMOTIONS!
Yes, mini games rock. Each time you finish one, you can research for more programming, rendering, and sound techniques to make the next structure even stronger. If you rewrite everything except for the helper functions each time (which I recommend) then the games will get bigger and better through each iteration.

Just do it.

Quote:Original post by MammaMia12
One of the mini game ideas I had was for players to slowly walk thier character off of a pond of ice that is melting without falling in. That alone sounds boring, so I thought to also add maybe some falling snowballs that break holes in the ice and can hit your character.

I actually think that sounds really fun. [smile]

Quote:
So what i am basically asking here, is would making little mini games like these be a good way to start learning? I also heard from someone that this would be a bad idea as each mini game would take forever to script.

I'm just going to repeat what's been said here. Yes, it's a great idea. And I can assure you it won't take longer to make a mini game than an MMO or some such...
I basically am doing the same thing. Creating small games, puzzle and arcade style to gain a better undersanding of OOP design. The best part of this is that I always have something to show to someone.
But, dont want to burst the bubble here sorry, make sure you spend alot of time writing the smallest of programs first before you try dive into some game logic, otherwise you will never be able to piece it together!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement