Collision detection? o.o

Started by
3 comments, last by Zakwayda 18 years, 8 months ago
Help... Sorry if I come across as a n00b... but my question is... What is vertex-to-face collision detection? How is it different that a bounding box method of collision detection? And how is it implemented? Thank you...
Advertisement
three vertices ("corners") make up one face... several faces make up triangles, polygons and whatnot.. :)

I'd recommend reading the red book of opengl... it contains lot of useful stuff! :D
"Game Maker For Life, probably never professional thou." =)
I know what a face and vertex is... but I have no idea how to implement this "vertex to face" collision detection... T_T

Help~~~
Check this out: http://uk.geocities.com/olivier_rebellion/Polycolly.zip
Quote:What is vertex-to-face collision detection? How is it different that a bounding box method of collision detection? And how is it implemented?
If I'm understanding your terms correctly, you're sort of comparing apples and oranges. 'Vertex-to-face' collision isn't really a collision detection method, but rather a specific event that may occur, independent of what method you're using.

It just means that two objects have come into contact, and the features that are in contact are a vertex of one object and a face of the other. There are other possible scenarios, such as edge-to-face or edge-to-edge, but vertex-to-face probably occurs the most frequently.

A vertex-to-face collision could occur using a bounding box method, or using the SAT, or using some other method, but it's not a collision detection 'method' in and of itself.

'Hope that helps clear things up.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement