Freeware for manipulating X-Files?

Started by
8 comments, last by DrGUI 18 years, 8 months ago
Hello, does anybody know of a good freeware tool for manipulating X-Files? As I have already the models (bought sometime ago), I would like to do the following things: 1.) Changing and adding of materials 2.) Changing and adding of textures 3.) possibly resizing of models (4. maybe adding of some simple animations (like running lights on an spaceship), if the file format supports this) Thanks for your help!
Advertisement
I think Blender would do the job.
As far as I can see, Blender can't open X-Files, and I've found no Plugin to laod and save those files.
there is a program called milkshape 3d. i think you can find a 30 day trail version online. if you buy the full thing i think its only like 30-60 bucks. I looked into it a while ago. check it out

http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/

~guyaton
~guyaton
Quote:Original post by guyaton
there is a program called milkshape 3d. i think you can find a 30 day trail version online. if you buy the full thing i think its only like 30-60 bucks. I looked into it a while ago. check it out

http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/

~guyaton

This seems a great tool for game modders...
but both tools mentioned ion this thread can only export x-files and not import them.

But I really want to work on the x-files direct, and not alway taking the 3ds original, making some changes and then again export it as x-file...

So I'am still seeking the right tool for my purpose...

but thanks for the help so far.
Quote:Original post by Sparhawk42
But I really want to work on the x-files direct, and not alway taking the 3ds original, making some changes and then again export it as x-file...

If you have access to the original models in a file format you can work with, I suggest you go ahead and work with the originals. There may be many programs out there that will export, and maybe even import, .x model files, but I've never heard of a specific "X File Editor". I'd guess that you'll always have to deal with an export command or some sort of plug-in.

Most editors in my experience prefer to use their own formats, because exporting to another file type may cause the file to lose some seemingly insignificant information that the editor needed, or at least preferred to have.
Quote:Original post by pi_equals_3

If you have access to the original models in a file format you can work with, I suggest you go ahead and work with the originals. There may be many programs out there that will export, and maybe even import, .x model files, but I've never heard of a specific "X File Editor". I'd guess that you'll always have to deal with an export command or some sort of plug-in.

Most editors in my experience prefer to use their own formats, because exporting to another file type may cause the file to lose some seemingly insignificant information that the editor needed, or at least preferred to have.

Just as you mentioned, when I work in another format a may loose some information and as my game will use X-Files I would like to work with them, so that I know that every change I make to them, I will also see in my game.

Milkshape can import .x files as well as export.

Under tools theres a directx option that allows you to open up .x files in a window on top, then click I think the far left button of that window to place it in the milkshape scene.
Quote:Original post by pi_equals_3

Just as you mentioned, when I work in another format a may loose some information and as my game will use X-Files I would like to work with them, so that I know that every change I make to them, I will also see in my game.

Actually, you shouldn't lose anything important. You can be guaranteed that everything that's supposed to be in a .x file will still be there when you load it, unless of course you use a really crappy editor (which Milkshape is not).

What I was referring to was more along the lines of information the editor would need. As an example, I believe the 3ds native format includes space to store information like the viewport settings, the viewports being the four orthogonal or perspective windows which view your scene in the editor. A .x file does not have space for this information, but that doesn't matter because you won't need it in a game.
Quote:Original post by DrEvil
Milkshape can import .x files as well as export.

Under tools theres a directx option that allows you to open up .x files in a window on top, then click I think the far left button of that window to place it in the milkshape scene.

DrEvil's right; the far left button is to open the x file and the next one is to plonk it into your scene.

Milkshape was $20 when I purchased it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement