Are Videogames Art?

Started by
58 comments, last by squirrel_of_death 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi colleagues I'm building up a special site: GAMESAREART.COM. It's intended to have a community where we can specifically talk about games with a more artistic and cultural approach. I believe that all Game Designers that are tired of "Killing/Running/Eating games" and are wondering how to deeply explore the possibilities of sculpting interactivity, might find this a special place. I'll recommend this article from the site and hope to see everyone that's curious about the future of gaming, there :) Are Videogames Art? Kind regards
Santi "Pulpo" SiriGAMES ARE ART!
Advertisement
All games are a form of art, even the "Killing/Running/Eating games".. especially when considered so. If an artist paints an ugly shoe, does that mean the painting is ugly?
games are better than art!
Quote:Original post by ferr
All games are a form of art, even the "Killing/Running/Eating games".. especially when considered so. If an artist paints an ugly shoe, does that mean the painting is ugly?

If we call the killing/running/eating games art, then we might as well just call everything art. The hot dog you buy on the street is art. Your receipt from Borders is art. This post is art.

I don't have a definition of "art", but I think it at least requires that the artist has the intention of making something that evokes a feeling greater than what it is. The artist painting an ugly shoe wants to evoke something beyond just the ugly shoe. Maybe he fails, but whether or not it succeeds doesn't matter.

Whereas it seems like the people making the killing/running/eating games don't intend for their games to be anything more than they are. All they are trying to do is make a game where you kill stuff.
Quote:Original post by pinacolada

If we call the killing/running/eating games art, then we might as well just call everything art. The hot dog you buy on the street is art. Your receipt from Borders is art. This post is art.

Why aren't those things art? Does something need to be on canvas or made out of clay to be art? Does art have to be something that can be placed in a museum so as to be viewed upon?

So you say it's OK for all games to not be considered art because the creators do not consider them anything more than a game when making them, but what about film? Many people consider film to be an art form, what are the differences between film and games? Interactivity, I'd say. Is it interactivity that makes them non-art? I wouldn't agree with that being the case, I remember seeing a painting of a vase, a few inches from the vase was a small drawing of what was to trick the viewer into thinking that a fly had landed on the painting.. the average viewer would wave their hand at the fly until they realized what the "art" was in this piece. Without the interaction this painting's true meaning would not be.
The hundreds of megabytes of media in a FPS tell me it's art.

Either way, it doens't matter. Games are for playing.
Why aren't those things art? Does something need to be on canvas or made out of clay to be art? Does art have to be something that can be placed in a museum so as to be viewed upon?

Okay, so everything is art. That's a rational point of view. But suddenly the word "art" isn't very useful, since it describes everything!
What about the level of creativity needed to make it? Could that define art?

If so, games development could be the top of the art chain.

Heh, some might find the first entry in the dictionary interesting:
1. Human effort to imitate, supplement, alter, or counteract the work of nature
Sounds familiar.
Quote:Original post by pinacolada

Okay, so everything is art. That's a rational point of view. But suddenly the word "art" isn't very useful, since it describes everything!

Well, not exactly. Art is not everything, it is art. Everything can be art, but most of the time it is not art until it is realized as being art. Semantics is a great art form, too.
When movies began in the early XXth century, they where just considered an entertainment: People went to theatres to see those amazing moving pictures.

When movies technology matured: Citizen Kane, Casablanca, Gone with the Wind.. They had achieved the status of Art but it took them 40 years to get a solid technology (color film, audio, long cuts).

Games are under the same process.. Our technology is maturing and a few game designers are just starting to realize the artistic potential of gaming.

I would like to invite you all who share my view on GAMES ARE ART where artistic games, articles about the subject and a community around this, is being built.

Cheers,
Santi "Pulpo" SiriGAMES ARE ART!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement