Source Code Management

Started by
16 comments, last by Arild Fines 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi, Myself and a friend of mine are playing around with some game programming stuff. We're basically still in the learning/goofing around stage but we're starting to put together a pretty cool little "tech demo" type of thing. Our problem is how to manage the project. Up until now we've been saving the source files and art on an FTP site I have set up, then we both download files from the site before we start working. However, we've had problems in the past with working on files at the same time and overwriting one anothers work, or forgetting to download the latest files... it's just a messy way of doing things. Does anyone have any tips for a better system?
Advertisement
Use Sub Version (http://subversion.tigris.org/) - Its the best solution for source control IMHO.

-Nate S.
"Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them more.."
I use subversion. I believe there are snap-ins so you can just use it directly from MSVS.
Or you can use CVS (in case you don't like for some reason Subversion ).
We're doing this for a living, George. We are not amateurs.
Subversion is great. If you're using Windows, you can use the TortoiseSVN plug in that lets you do everything from windows explorer.

Edit: The VS.NET plugin is AnkhSVN, though I've never used it.
Quote:
Original post by dimovich
Or you can use CVS (in case you don't like for some reason Subversion ).

I wouldn't go for CVS. I use CVS and have two annoyances, both of which are solved by subversion: in CVS directory renaming is not possible (unless you hack the repository itself) and renaming files destroys their history. If I wasn't as lazy as I am, I would have already switched. Just a few more directory/file renames and my annoyance vs. lazyness balance flips in favor of subversion :)

Tom
subversion does look pretty cool.

The problem is that my server is a Red Hat 9.0 install and is pretty outdated. To upgrade all the apache packages I'd need get the web interface for subversion working... looks like a ton of work.

I guess this is a good excuse to finally upgrade to FC4.

OpenSVN.csie.org offers free subversion hosting. TortoiseSVN is my SVN client of choice.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
I'd have to recommend Perforce. It's a big high quality commercial package, however as they get all their money from site licenses from corporations, they make the entire package completely free for up to 2 users. I use this for my own projects, and I'd highly recommend it.
I'll also recommend Perforce. It's the easiest source control to use.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement