Sign in to follow this  

CVS FrontEnd and Linux

This topic is 4518 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Appologies if this should go in Everything Linux, but I'm hoping more people will read this in General Programming... I'm hopefully moving over to Linux in the near future to work on a linux port of my current project. The project is currently hosted by Berlios.de, which uses CVS as its source control method. Now obviously, I am a lazy Windows user, and I love making my life as easy as possible. I currently use TortoiseCVS as my CVS front end, which makes checking and getting etc. from the CVS manager nice and simple. I'm hoping there is something similar which I could use on Linux, rather than actually having to use the console to get and commit files. Ideally, I would love a cross platform application so I could use it on Windows too (avoids having to use two seperate systems, but this is not the most important aspect!). So far, the only suitable front ends I have found are commercial applications, which don't go in for the "your a single developer, have it for free" motto, and I am in no situation to be paying out for high cost applications. So if anyone has any ideas or suggestions please let me know Thanks Spree

Haven't used CVS all that much, but when I have i've used emacs or written up some shell scripts to automate common things. Chances are that neither of those options are something you're looking for, but I thought i'd throw them out there.

A google search turned up CvsGui, but the UNIX build looks like it hasn't been updated since 2002 (the windows version is more up to date).

Also check out the CVS section at freshmeat.net. If something like you want exists for linux, freshmeat.net is usually a good place to look.

Thanks for the link to FreshMeat.net, I think that will solve nearly every Linux application problem I will ever have! Ill have a look at all the applications and see what I can find.

As for CVSGui, that looks like a Linux port of WinCVS, which I have used, and do like. But like you said, the gCVS app has not had much work done on it in a long time, but then neither has WinCVS really.

I think I'll check out FreshMeat first then maybe fire off an e-mail or two to guiCVS asking about the state of the project. One thinkg that does make me question the guiCVS is why they couldnt create one application that works on Win32/Linux and Mac, instead of having 3 totally seperate apps?

Thanks again
Spree

I couldn't find anything quite as good as TortoiseCVS and TortoiseSVN for Linux. The best I've seen so far for ease of use with cvs is "cervisia". Although there is something to be said for also knowing the command lines, its occasionally quicker :)

Cervisia is very nice. There is also Meld, which isnt as full featured, but I still tend to use it most of the time. I recently found LinCVS which works for both mac, windows and linux and has pretty much the same functinality as Cervisia.

Edit (posted too soon): I tend to use the commandline most of the time, but the above tools are invaluable in a project with other people when you want to browse changes in an easy way.

There is also very nice cvs integration scripts for Vim and Emacs. I'm not sure about Eclipse cvs support but I'd guess its pretty good.

This topic is 4518 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.