homing missile acceleration?

Started by
0 comments, last by Zakwayda 18 years, 8 months ago
right now, my homing missiles are locked onto a target (2d) and adjust their velocity according to position. this means that the missile will always be heading right towards the target (the target is always moving) i wanted this to be a little more realistic ( real homing missiles probably dont have instantaneous reaction time like that when a target moves from its previous location). my thought was have an acceleration vector that will always point at the target. and use that to add to my velocity vector. im thinking this will give it a little more realism. my question is, what should the magnitude of the acceleration be? lets say my initial velocity is 180. would i assume that the speed ( magnitude of velocity ) will stay a constant, using acceleration just as a direction? or should acceleration have magnitude allowing the missile to gain speed once the velocity vector and acceleration converge ( like when the missile is moving parallel with the target, behind or in front of it ) ? im curious what some of you physics buffs have to say about this. thanks for your help guys.
---------Coming soon! Microcosm II.
Advertisement
There was a thread recently on guided missile behavior. I don't have time to go looking for it now (and alas, no search), but if you go back through the last few pages you should find it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement