Sign in to follow this  
cstdio

Applying DirectShow filter to DirectX-rendered scene?

Hi all, I'm trying to abstract various "video" sources for a personal project I'm working on. The three main sources are 1) from camera (easy), 2) from video file (easy), and 3) from 3D game environment (???). To clarify, the "game environment" is one that I create within my application. I want this kind of flow at an abstract level: "video" source =(rgbdata)=> my custom filter =(rgbdata)=> output For the 3d scene ... a little less abstract: 3d scene => render => my custom filter => output I know that I could render the scene, read the data from the frame buffer, apply the filter, and then write back to the frame buffer...but this just seems painful. Is there any GOOD way to do this by inserting a filter that is applied during or just after the rendering process? What little I know about graphics cards leads me to believe that this is impossible or impractical, but...I'm not certain. I'm not a DirectShow or DirectX expert, so I'll appreciate any advice you can give. :) - Nate

Any recommended readings, then? I've been slowly working my way through MSDN material and haven't found anything on the web. Would this be somewhere along the lines of "special effects"?

I know how to get it to work, but it isn't a very pretty or efficient solution.

- Nate