Sign in to follow this  
en972

Setting up the Irrlicht Graphics engine as a Full Game Engine

Can someone tell me how to set up the Irrlicht engine as a full 3d game engine? I mean with networking, physics, collision detection, everything! I also would like to set it up with Borland C++ Builder 6 Personal, Blender 3D modeler, Audacity sound recorder, Adobe Photo Shop, and...Well I think thats actully all you need to create a game. If I need anything else please add it to the list while helping me set all this up. Thanks alot. God Bless - Reagan

It's not a case of setting it up. To add things like physics and networking you're gonna have to write some code. Using external libraries would be a better option to writing stuff from scratch. For physics (which can also provide collision detection) take a look at ODE Newton and Tokamak. For networking OpenTNL and Raknet are a couple of options.

As for setting it up with various programs all you need to do is ensure those programs can export to formats that can read by the engine. Photoshop supports a wide range of graphics formats so that shouldn't be a problem. Audacity should be able to export to either mp3 or ogg (there are plenty of audio libraries, such as FMod out there if Irrlicht doesn't give you the audio support you want). Blender doesn't export to many formats out of the box but there's a whole load of Python exporter scripts available or you could write one yourself that exports to a format you can use.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Many of the Irrlicht examples are simple and will not suffice when it comes to creating a game of any real complexity. It will be best to look at normal game archictecture books to figure out how you'll structure your game, what the key components are and how they communicate (I recommend Game Coding Complete Ed 2). From here, look at what Irrlicht does for you (Scene Graph, basic input, rendering, basic collisions) and wire up the Irrlicht components into your basic architecture.