Rich edit

Started by
2 comments, last by RobTheBloke 18 years, 8 months ago
I've been wanting to make an IDE (Its actually going to be a IGDE, Integrated Game Development Enviroment) so that I can customize it. I can't find any tutorials for making/using rich edit controls. I've tried using "rich", "richedit", and a couple other strings as the classname and nothing works. I'd look at the Code::Blocks source code, but it uses wxWidgets and I'd rather use Windows for the first version (since I already know it pretty well.) Right now I'm just looking for a way to create a rich edit text box and color the text.
Advertisement
Before creating a rich edit you first have to load a certain DLL (which DLL depends on the version of the control you want to use). See this link for which version corresponds to which control.

Most other editors probably use Scintilla for their syntax highlighting purposes. I know that Notepad2 and Notepad++ both use it.
make sure you have loaded the richedit dll first, otherwise no string will make a difference. Also make sure you are handling the notify and command messages of the control. As i recall, i spent ages getting it to work, once i had it working, i ditched it in favour of wxWidgets.

Colouring text in a richedit control is not the easiest thing to do btw.

It's probably a waste of time doing it in Win32, you might just as well use wxWidgets straight away. It's much easier and more powerful out of the box than using Win32 directly...

If you really insist on using Win32, then all the info you need can be found with the docs that come with the platform SDK - i still recommend ditching it infavour of wx though.... (if you've used Win32 before, then you'll get what you need done very quickly... it's far easier than Win32....)
Quote:Original post by Colin Jeanne Most other editors probably use Scintilla for their syntax highlighting purposes.

seconded.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement