Dreamcast Visual Studio Wizard

Started by
0 comments, last by PnP Bios 18 years, 8 months ago
Hey, I'm trying to get into a little console development and so I decided to buy a Sega Dreamcast because people say it's good to start with because there's loads of information and a pretty decent API (KallistiOS) available. I had to find out that it's actually not so easy to use the Microsoft Visual Studio .NET as the development environment, which I find, kind of sucks, because you pay a lot of money for a very good piece of software and then can't use it for anything else than Win32 development. Nevertheless, I wrote a small application, which converts a MSVC++ project file (.vcproj) into a Makefile so that you can use the MSVS together with your Cygwin toolchain installation. The application reads in a template Makefile and fills it up with information obtained from the .vcproj file (filenames in the project, in particular). You don't have to touch the Makefile anymore if you add new source files to your project. Simply use 'Build' from within the MSVS. I packed everything into a costum project wizard for MSVS. You can get it here. Installation instructions: 1) Install the Cygwin and KallistiOS package from here: http://www.consolevision.com/dreamcast/dev/ 2) Re-Run the Cygwin Setup.exe and install the GNU make, since it is not delivered with the package above. 3) Install the application wizard. If you already have a up-and-running Cygwin installation, that compiles the KallistiOS examples with a simple call to make, you can skip step 1) and 2). The wizard should then work with no reconfiguration. Enjoy! Bye, ZMaster PS.: I wrote this for personal use only and did not test it on any other machine than mine. I just put it here, because some of you might find it useful.
Advertisement
I've been doing it the hard way for a while now, and am probably going to keep doing it that way. But for a lot of new people, this could be great. I Applaude you for your efforts.
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement