• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Pirosan

making an object (sprite/particle) face the camera [solved]

This topic is 4853 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been working with opengl for a few weeks now and have gotten to the point where i want to be able to create particles in my game. I am working on a space simulation, so i will be moving in all directions, viewing at all angles. I don't want the typical billboarding effect, because if you go over the sprite it looks flat. what might i do to come up with what i need? Thanks for your time. EDIT: worded my problem wrong. [Edited by - Pirosan on August 4, 2005 4:36:50 AM]

Advertisement
I understand that this will require matricies. I have a camera vector, and the local coordinates of the particle. Before now i used the dot product and found the needed y rotation to spin it so it was facing the camera, but that works only on one axis.

Is there a way to do something along the lines of the camera LookAt function? that would make everything so much easier.

I found a good site for spherical billboarding here. Its a good tutorial that goes through fake and real billboarding processes and is a good resource.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!