making an object (sprite/particle) face the camera [solved]

Started by
1 comment, last by Pirosan 18 years, 8 months ago
I have been working with opengl for a few weeks now and have gotten to the point where i want to be able to create particles in my game. I am working on a space simulation, so i will be moving in all directions, viewing at all angles. I don't want the typical billboarding effect, because if you go over the sprite it looks flat. what might i do to come up with what i need? Thanks for your time. EDIT: worded my problem wrong. [Edited by - Pirosan on August 4, 2005 4:36:50 AM]
Bow before me... for i am l33t!
Advertisement
I understand that this will require matricies. I have a camera vector, and the local coordinates of the particle. Before now i used the dot product and found the needed y rotation to spin it so it was facing the camera, but that works only on one axis.

Is there a way to do something along the lines of the camera LookAt function? that would make everything so much easier.
I found a good site for spherical billboarding here. Its a good tutorial that goes through fake and real billboarding processes and is a good resource.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement