Could this sound better?

Started by
4 comments, last by Xtremehobo 18 years, 8 months ago
I just bought myself a new mixer and Nady CM90 condenser mic. I've got the headphone output connected to my computer's line-in so that I can record (not the best setup, but all I've got at the moment). This (that's me playing my ukulele) is what it sounds like at the moment. It sounds like it's picking up on the detail and stuff, but it just doesn't sound very full or something. If I start trying to turn up the gain or volume it starts clipping. I've got the mic gain set to about 1 o'clock, level set to 12 o'clock (the knob label says "0" at that point), and the headphone volume set to about 10 o'clock. Any advice?
I like the DARK layout!
Advertisement
Not that i've heard the actual instrument in action, but it sounds fine to me. You could try adding some effects in soundforge or something to make it sound fuller. Chorus and\or reverb can 'thicken' the sound if used correctly. But i'd wait and see how it works together with other instruments first.
I suppose it sounds okay, but that's actually one of the best recordings I've made so far. My guitar sounds distant and far away for some reason.

The thing is, when I listen on the headphones I can get it set up where it sounds great (aside from an echo from the room and background noises, like the bugs outside (this mic is really sensitive! Wow!)). But then if I unplug the headphones and send that to my computer's line-in, the computer doesn't really pick up anything at all. I have to turn gain and stuff way up. I don't understand why it's like that though. The headphone out is having to send a powerful enough signal to drive my headphones, but it can barely give line-in a signal?

Maybe I've already blown my line-in.
I like the DARK layout!
Are you pre-amping your mic?
Quote:Original post by krikkit
Are you pre-amping your mic?

The mixer says it's got an invisible mic preamp, so I assume I am.
I like the DARK layout!
I've got the same mixer [grin] Even though it may be little, t really does sound very nice through the headphone outs, however when I record into my PC's line in using the main outs or tape outs, I notice it sounds a bit dull and I attribute this to the fact that my sound card is so dang cheap and not worthy of professional recording equpment!

If you don't have the cash to spend on a higher end audio card (M-Audio Audiophile, DigitDesign interfaces, etc..) you could go into your windows recording mixer dialog and make sure the line-in volume is all the way up to make most efficiant use of the signal's dynamic range.

When setting levels with the mixer, turn the main mix to unity (12 o'clock) and adjust it so the meter shows peaks around 6 dB. This will be too hot for your sound card so once you have the levels set, use the main mix knob to bring it down to a level that the soundcard can handle.

Another thing you might want to try is purchasing another CM90 condensor mic and record in stereo. You'll be supprised how much fuller your sound will be if you play around with mic placements and record in stereo.

I doubt you've blown your line in, but try using the mixer's line-outs instead of the headphone out for recording to avoid impedance missmatch issues. The headphone out on that particular mixer has a somewhat high noise floor too. I know it's tempting to just use the headphone out because all you need is a standard TRS 3.5mm cable and an adapter, but if you go out and buy the few adapters you'll need to go from two 1/4" TS to 3.5mm TRS, you'll be able to acheive a cleaner sound.
pixelwrench.com | [email="matt[nospam]@pixelwrench[nospam]com"]email[/email] lethalhamster: gamedev keeps taking my money, but im too lazy to not let them

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement