Advice needed :S

Started by
6 comments, last by Drazgal 18 years, 8 months ago
Im doing CS course at Nottingham University (UK). I want a GAMEDEV job after i finish uni. I decide to do CS because i think it will give me all the basic of general software development then i can go and expand further to game dev. But at Nott Uni, they teach Java instead of C++ ( no offend to Java lover but i still think i need c++ more than java to get a gamedev job)+ i feel like my programming skill isnt improved much, because they dont really focus on teach programming. Here the list of the module i study in my 1st year: - Computer Systems Architecture - Computer Use and Applications - Mathematics for Computer Scientists - Skills for Communicating Information - Algorithmic Problem Solving - Functional Programming - Introduction to Digital Business - Machines and their Languages - Mathematics for Computer Science 2 - Java - Software Methods and Tools And here the list of the module i will have to study for my 2nd year: - Computer Communications and Networks - Database Systems - Compilers (why they want to teach us how to make a compilers ???) - Concepts of Concurrency - Commercial and Industrial Systems Design - Object-oriented Methods Optionals Modules: - Algorithms and Data Structures - Artificial Intelligence Programming - Cryptography - Computer Aided Formal Reasoning - Digital Documents - Computer Graphics - Neural Computing - Program Construction and Verification - User Interface Design - Computer Vision - Advanced Functional Programming - Advanced Computer Graphics - Artificial Intelligence Methods - C/C++ for Java Programmers - The Internet and the World Wide Web Now Im thinking bout tranfering to Nottingham Trent University. Some of my friends say they focus more on C++ and OOP programming over there. Here the list of the module : - Operating Systems - Object-orientated Programming - Graphics - Games Technology Optional modules: - Internet and Visual Programming - Business and Management - Decision Support - Foreign Language Im not totally sure wat i should do. My plan rite now is: Tranfer to Nottingham Trent, so i can focus on C++ and Maths + teach myself DX. after i graduate instead do a master course I will try to get a GAMEDEV job. 1 year working you will get much more experience than 1 year doin master course. And I think in gamedev experience is wat matter the most. I dont know wat to do rite now,and i dont have much time to dicide :( Pls give me some advices Thx you for reading my post i know its a lond and boring one :)
Advertisement
Firstly learn to spell 'right' not rite, damnit :P

As for your programming skills not improving because the university isn't focusing on prorgamming, I hate to tell you but focusing on the programming is your responsability.

For example I was told at my university last term that my course probably has more actual programming than any other computing course in scotland. Personally I was somewhat taken aback because in my opinion we we doing bugger all programming (and bugger all theory but thats beside the point I suppose) and the thought that we were above average in that respect had never entered my head.

University seems to be there to teach you to meet deadlines and to organise yourself properly. Your spare time is for learning programming and anything you might get taught at uni should be considered a bonus :)

So personally I don't think it matters if you change course or not, what matters is if you sit down and decide what you want to learn and then make sure you do, regardless of what your university is teaching you. Make some nice demos during your uni time and show them to employers as well as your uni projects.
Im on a Games Software Engineering course and most of the learning we do with regards to programming is in our own time too. We have course books to read through and learn from. Lectures will mainly introduce topics and go over problem areas, not fully teach programming.

Just get some books on Java (you probably have some already:) ) read through them, do the exercises (when you finish a book get a more advanced one and work through that). Do alot of small side projects as well to help you learn and to get practice.
Quote:Original post by BosskIn Soviet Russia, you STFU WITH THOSE LAME JOKES!
So should I stay or go? or it doesnt matter which Uni i go to as long I work hard :D
Most universities will teach you the theory behind what you need. Java is often used do to its simplicity. For example, data structures. Its much easier to implement basic versions of list, vectors, etc.. in java than it is in C++. Why bother with pointers and memory allocation and all that stuff when its not the point of the course.

However, the posters where correct that the programming aspect is up to you. The real hardcore stuff, i.e game engine development, wouldn't normally be a course. Many things needed for a career in game development will have to learned in your spare time. Or you can try one of those game institutes. However, University still has a great deal to teach you.
Any computer science course worth its salt will teach you the modules you have listed above. It is a computer science degree, not a programming degree. Programming makes up a small percentage of all the computer work out there, and while it might be the most important one to you, the guy next to you is getting pissed off because they are not teaching more Mathematics and Cryptography.

If you move to another university, because they teach a narrower syllabus, you will be hurting yourself in the long run. And no doubt, something there will be just as annoying. It’s the way life is!

A degree is there to show the world you can work at degree level, which needs a high level of responsibility, time keeping and organisation, not to teach you what you want to know, that’s your responsibility.

FYI, I went to Manchester University and studies Software Engineering (though one of my flat mates studied Computer Science and was in practically every lecture with me, there was that little difference.) My lecturers hated C (and some wouldn't even hear the words C Plus Plus), and so forced Java on us.

So what did I do? I took the summer holidays, locked myself in my room and learnt C++ (and the object oriented modules plus Java helped a LOT). I then walked into my third year and demanded I complete my final project in C++ (they didn't like it, but University is about making your own choices, the lecturers are there to guide you).

By the end, I had a very good grasp of C++ (all self taught) with a good grasp of objected orientated concepts, thanks to the Java modules and my lecturers.

My point is (yes I do have one!) is that this course is there to set you up to allow you to do what you want. You just have to step up and do it, even if it means working that bit harder than the guy down the hall.

Spree

PS. Some game dev companied ask for a degree, many don't. None that I know of ask for a master’s degree. Unless you are going to do something like applied AI (or something that could easily be transferred to future game programming problems) I wouldn't bother, IMO.
Hello,
If you want to do more programing then theory you should look at getting a Software Engineering degree instead of a Computer Science, though Im not sure if any schools in your area have that program. At my school we have software engineering and they spend alot more time learning how to design code ,and more time programing and debuging instead of the spending large amounts of time on theory like in computer science. I personally am a computer engineer so I spend alot of time programing software and hardware. I think if you want to go into the game dev field Software engineering is more practical were as if you want to get your phd or masters then Computer Science would be better suited for your needs
Quote:Original post by Tutukun
or it doesnt matter which Uni i go to as long I work hard :D

I think you hit the nail on the head with that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement