• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
BloodLust666

new to AI

This topic is 4855 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, i'm just now taking the first dip into some complex AI. I was wondering if some ppl could help me on some approaches. For a start, the game i'm putting AI to is galaga, i want to have different ships do different things.

Advertisement
You'll have to be more specific on what you want your ships to do...

Explain us your problem, what you fail to be able to solve, etc...

Eric

well, want to have maybe an array of paths that a ship can travel (ex: parabola, then a slope to the bottom left screen), then for every ship i will assign one of those values and when it is visible it will act according to it's assigned AI movement. I don't know whether to have a class for that or what.

Is this your first game? Do you have something running at the moment or simply planning things out?

What you should do, in my opinion, is make a spline editor, then assing these splines to your different enemies, and just make them follow the spline... just as you said. Make a manager that will be responsible of the splines, and each "AI" should query the manager to know its spline. This way, if you've got multiple splines for a same type of enemies, the manager will be able to dispatch different paths for each enemies.

Hope this helps

Eric

no this isn't my first game and everything is pretty much done except for the levels and the AI. This is also a 2D game so i don't know if splines would work.. :-/ or i could just use splines but just have them go across the screen (in a 2D fassion)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!