C++ newbie: 3D now!!!

Started by
35 comments, last by ........................................ 18 years, 8 months ago
bh I'm about a month into C++, so consider me a dummy. I have a friend who's into LightWave (a program to make 3D images & animations). We wanto combine C++ & LightWave images to make a tiny sort of "Hello 3D world" demo, where you could control a little character to move forward & turn clockwise & counter clockwise. Can someone please guide me in this direction so that I could acheive this goal, or, if this is too unrealistic due to my early level, then please point me out directions as to how I could acheive the required knowledge to do so.
Advertisement
For the 'n'th time, please take the time to look at the 'For Beginners' Section located Here

Thank you!
---------------------------------The Shadow Sun - Want Your Writing Exposed?
bh
i did go there, nothing about on the spot making small 3D game....or maybe there was but did'nt understand. I dont know all the terms used in that list.
Check out nehe.gamedev.net, that should get you started.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
bh
hmm, that helped somewhat.
just that i was looking for something really on-the-spot without understanding anything at all yet.
like i'd go to a guy who never heard of c++ & tell him:
1: go to this & this site & download this & this thing called a c++ compiler
2: type in text "#include <iostream> etc..........."
3: click on the "compile & run" button. presto! you made a program showing hello world!!! & the guy didnt even understand a thing he did, though he sees his results.
Im looking for same thing to make a "hello 3d world" as i said in my first post. any help please?

also, theres a serious problem with the download file for dev-c++ compiler, with the preproccessor command to include a certain file "gl\glaux.h", i get the following error: 12 C:\WINDOWS.000\Bureau\lesson01\lesson04\lesson04\lesson4.cpp gl\glaux.h: No such file or directory.
whom could i ask?
What they are trying to tell you is that there isn't a particulary simple way to do this. For instance, are your using Opengl or DirectX? Are you looking at skeletal based animation or keyframe? Model model file are you interested in; x.file, 3DS, FBX or what.

Just getting a little guy running around takes a surprisingly large amount of code, something which is waaayyyyyyyy beyond the capabilities of someone with 1 months C++ under their belt.

In short, don't worry about 3D at them moment, just concentrate on learning C++ by developing console apps. When you understand pointers inside out, (my recommendation), then you can pick up a book on beginning 3D programming. You have a long journey ahead of you and there aren't any shortcuts i'm afraid.

Good luck though :)
----------------------------------------------------
Check out my casual TBS game blog
----------------------------------------------------
CPlusPlus3D, programming games is unfortunately not something that people typically sit down and churn out the next Halo in a couple of hours.

You definitely have a lot of enthusiam about your future project but you must realize you can't just jump into a project like that with very little experience.

Definitely make some console games and then when you're ready (you have experience using classes, structs, pointers, arrays, etc.) you'll be ready to make some more complex games.

When you're ready, OpenGL and DirectX are the two main ways to enter 3D programming with C++ (do some research into them), though they are still very complex and you are not likely to find anyone who will throw you in the water and let you swim for yourself (a.k.a. here's the code without explaining it).

NeHe is without a doubt one of the best reference sites for OpenGL programming, while checking out the articles page is good place as well. Since you're using Dev-C++, NeHe also provides content that has been revised for use with different compilers (including Dev-C++) and in different languages.

Check out the article pages on gamedev, the "for beginners" section (definitely a good resource), the books link, and if you have a question after exhausting all other possible options or if you need feedback on a part of your game...post on a forum.
Quote:Original post by CPlusPlus3D
also, theres a serious problem with the download file for dev-c++ compiler, with the preproccessor command to include a certain file "gl\glaux.h", i get the following error: 12 C:\WINDOWS.000\Bureau\lesson01\lesson04\lesson04\lesson4.cpp gl\glaux.h: No such file or directory.
whom could i ask?

GLaux is an old library used in those tutorials mostly for its bitmap-loading function. If you carefully check on the main page, there is a "GLaux replacement" link.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Quote:Original post by CPlusPlus3D
bh
I'm about a month into C++, so consider me a dummy. I have a friend who's into LightWave (a program to make 3D images & animations). We wanto combine C++ & LightWave images to make a tiny sort of "Hello 3D world" demo, where you could control a little character to move forward & turn clockwise & counter clockwise.
Can someone please guide me in this direction so that I could acheive this goal, or, if this is too unrealistic due to my early level, then please point me out directions as to how I could acheive the required knowledge to do so.

Such project is too far ahead. To render a 3D object, you must know how to use a 3D API, such as OpenGL and Direct3D, which might take 1-2 months and strong C/C++ background. You will also need to be able to read Lightwave files. Then you need to animate it.

What you should do right now to achieve that level?
1. Learn more programming. It has nothing to do with 3D/2D/games, but you need it anyway.
2. Then learn 3D concept and an API.
3. Learn how to read Lightwave files.
4. Animate.
Quote:Original post by Fruny
GLaux is an old library used in those tutorials mostly for its bitmap-loading function. If you carefully check on the main page, there is a "GLaux replacement" link.

Got it, thanx. Do i have to put it in a certain folder or something like that?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement