DnD system

Started by
5 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 8 months ago
I've been trying to decide what kind of system to use for my RPG that I'm working. Of course, the dungeons and dragons system is at the top of my list, then the d20 system. But, I have problems with this and most other systems for a few reasons. The biggest being character creation, for which you rely totally on chance. This has always been my problem with playing Baldur's Gate. I've actually sat there in the character creation rolling the die for ONE character for about 20-30 minutes (it took a little longer than normal because I was making a ranger which is difficult to do stats for in BG.) I'd rather have a small system where the character makes a base character, and then plays from that character, building him/her. For example: He makes a: male elf deity/symbol religion look And then plays through either actual gameplay, or he is presented with several scenarios which develop his character to adulthood. What are your guys' opinion on my idea? Do you have any other ideas or changes to the DnD system? Thanks!
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Programmer16
I've been trying to decide what kind of system to use for my RPG that I'm working. Of course, the dungeons and dragons system is at the top of my list, then the d20 system. But, I have problems with this and most other systems for a few reasons. The biggest being character creation, for which you rely totally on chance.

As a GM, I used either point allocation (every stat starts at 8 and gets points to add, the lower your stat is the cheaper it is to increase it) or the good old pre-build characters (such as 10 for 5 players, and let the players choose).
Tactics with "the lower the stat the cheaper to increase it" has a major drawback - it encourages to "flat" characters - characters with same stats at a big level.

A possible sollution to this "exponential scale" is to give "exponential bonus" but this will generate a linear system again. So I think a linear system (fixed bonus value per stats point) would be more suitable, easier to ballance and will easier to implement.

My 50 cents...
-----------------------------How to create atmosphere? Bring in EMOTIONS!
Quote:Of course, the dungeons and dragons system is at the top of my list, then the d20 system.

You have a computer to take care of the simulation. Why limit yourself so? The d20 system is good for pen & paper games because it is simple and things are easy to keep track of, but for a computer game? *shrug*.

Quote:Original post by Codman
Tactics with "the lower the stat the cheaper to increase it" has a major drawback - it encourages to "flat" characters - characters with same stats at a big level.

Who said stats had to increase with level? Skills, ok, but stats? Let initial choices stick.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Something like GURPS?
I know you can get hold of something called GURPS lite (for free) that describes a light version of the GURPS core.
Quote:Original post by Fruny
Who said stats had to increase with level? Skills, ok, but stats? Let initial choices stick.

But your stats wouldn't stay the same. As I used my giant axe more and more, my strength would go up. The more I used my katana, my dexterity would got, etc.

(But, this also adds problems that I've already worked through and decided not to do.)
Take a look at the way Dungeon Lords handles this, also the rest of the game is not really finished, the character development is really great and a lot of fun...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement