• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
fathom88

OpenGL Drawing to Bitmap /GDI Vs OpenGL Performance Question

This topic is 4852 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a question regarding drawing a 2D image. I was using Windows GDI with VC++. I would draw data points to a bitmap and then display the bitmap in my window. As new data came in, I would simply draw to the bitmap. Hence, the bitmap/window would display new and old data. I switched to OpenGL thinking I would get better performance. I looked around and it seems that I can do something similar with OpenGL. In fact, it uses many native GDI calls to accomplish this. Does OpenGL provide a better native means to do this? I don't want to store my points inside a massive OpenGL object list and redraw all my points (new and old) every time new data points come in. Did I waste my time by switching to OpenGL? The GDI provides simple draw routines as well. It lacks the advance transforms and such that OpenGL does. Thanks for any advice.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!