[java] check my multiplayer tankgame, please

Started by
21 comments, last by n0rmanfreak 18 years, 6 months ago
hi ! anybody wanna test my little multiplayer game? i would love to hear ANY feedback, bugreports and general advice. thx in advance download
Advertisement
Nice game!

You got eveything covered, and since it's a "draft" (right?) there isn't much to comment upon. The only thing I noticed is that your bullets keep flying across the map, perhaps setting a max range to them (and to each type of ammo you create from now on) will increase the value of playability.

Son Of Cain
a.k.a javabeats at yahoo.ca
I noticed there's a delay before you can fire a second time (I presume a reload time). May I suggest adding a status bar for the reload time. It looks pretty cool. I'll also suggest something else... Perhaps making your map data a proprietory binary format as opposed to a .txt file. The reason I mention this is because what if I change my map file, but the server has something different? This might prevent tampering.

Good Job!!!
first of all thx for your feedback !

@son of cain : well...i never thought about a maximum firerange...in think the map is quit small so the bullets can go anywhere..but i keep that in mind. maybe i'll implement different ammo types and power-ups.

@whackjack : that status bar for reloading sounds like a superb idea. (in the current version you can only fire 1 bullet at a time but reloading was a planned feature already).

about the map-file: i already thought about changing the fileformat but i want the maps to be easly edited by everyone. i'm not sure if i'm going to do a simple editor to create maps or leave the txt-file and create some mechanism so the server can be sure that all clients have the same map-file or send it if the clients don't have it.

more feedback as always welcome
i uploaded a new version with some minor changes like a status bar for reloading. you can download it here.

screenshot
I'm at work, so I won't be able to try it 'till I get home, but the loading bar on your screenshot is exactly what i was talking about. Good Job! As for the map file thing, I'd say have the server enforce what maps people use. They're really small so it wouldn't take much to push those onto the client.
Keep up the good work!
nice game :D. I noticed one bug though. Even if you shoot a dead tank, you get a kill in the stats.
hi!

thx nataku92. i never noticed that...

- i fixed it and also a disconnect/reconnect-bug.
- you can now select a playername when connecting

you can get the new version v0.87 here

more feedback is always welcome...you may also post features you'd like to see!
I just thought of a better way to save bandwidth on the map loading issue...

Have the server generate a hash (MD5 or SHA-1) of the current map and send it to the clients. The clients then compare it to the hash of their own map. If it fails, it can request the map from the server. This way you don't have the server pushing the map down everytime you connect.
hi whackjack!

i also thought about a checksum to detect if the map is the same...
but on the other hand a map of 20x15 tiles is only 300 bytes. so it's not eating a lot of bandwith. but i will try to find a way to send the map only if it's really necessary.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement