• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
d000hg

Colouring models to show which side they're on?

This topic is 4876 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What I am after, is knowing how models are made where the model can be shown differently depending who controls it. For instance in RTS games, the sae units are themed with blue/red/green etc for the different players, though most of the texturing is unchanged. How would modellers approach this problem - have a subset of each model using a different material from the rest, and then hacking this material's colour properties in the game for each player? Or some other way? On a related not, when a gun has a muzzle flash, one option seems to have this as a separate subsection too. When the gun is fired his can be made visible; the rest of the time it is invisible. Is this a reasonable way of doing things (I'm thinking of an RTS again where the units on screen are very small and crude, not a big fancy muzzle-flash effec for an FPS). Thanks for your advice in advance.

Advertisement
Hey d000hg,
Games I have worked on have gone through many elaborate permutations on how best to customize the look of different versions using the same base model. Things like multi-pass layered textures or mr- potato-head-like mix and match pieces. When it comes right down to it, though, from an artist's perspective, the easiest thing to do is make one model and make a seperate image file for each different version of the texture. Maybe each one has a different color hat or something. Then, in code, tell the model which texture to use. This could get annoying if you want 100 different versions, but if you're talking about 6 team variations in an RTS it would seem reasonable. Sometimes a sledgehammer is what is needed.

Scott

Well I've never made a seperate texture for each team-colour, if you had say 100 units for each side, and you have 3 sides, and 6 textures for each unit - then that gives you 100*3*6 = 1800 textures which for modern strategy wargames requiring high or multi resolution textures for close-up shots may be too much for graphics memory.

I've had pretty good results creating a texture for each team - a large texture with several patterns, and even a flag - and set as a seperate material. You can then model each unit with, say the red team's texture, and id each "player texture" as being "keyed" to a variable. This variable is set to the current player and the texture is set accordingly.

I'm sure I could explain better if this appeals to you...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!