Developing on Gnome and KDE

Started by
2 comments, last by Will F 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi everyone. I just signed up to this site, and hope it can help me get to where I want to go! I have just installed the latest Mandriva Linux, as I want to do a bit of programming on there before I venture onto Windows, but I'm a bit confused. Ive been looking at Anjuta and KDevelop, which both talk about programming for Gnome and KDE. But if I program and build a game on Anjuta in Gnome, will this also run on KDE? Im not sure about all the platform libraries (like GTK), but if I use GTK, is that only for Gnome? Is there a library I can use for everything? I know this probably sounds like a totally newbie questions to all you guru's out there, but we all got to start somewhere i suppose!! Thanks for your help Sam
Advertisement
There is nothing about Anjuta that binds executables you make to either Gnome or KDE. GTK is also independent of Gnome or KDE. In fact, with some work, you can get a GTK application to build to run on Windows.
If u are planning to develop games for Linux I am not sure QT or GTK are ur way. I think it's like setting up a Windows game using MFC. I would switch to GLX instead, above all if u want to use OpenGL...

For my research i use extensively QT on Linux... It's slow as a cow on the skates!
Fire burn wisdom in me,Wisdom set mind and spirit free,Moonlight shows me the mysteries of life,Winternight gives me clearsight and storms to fight.
SDL is the way to go for games on linux. You have to give up things like button widgets that GTK or Qt offer you, but you can get started easily. Plus SDL can be used for games running on Windows as well.

As for Gnome and KDE, as long as the runtime libraries exist on your system you should be able to play a Qt game in Gnome, and vice versa.

Also take a look at the book Programming Linux Games by Loki Software, Inc. with John R. Hall, it's available as a free download, but I can't seem to find a link to it (do a web search and you should be able to find it, or better yet, if it hasn't gone out of print buy a copy).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement