• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Nokturnal

Inputs On Project-Idea Required

This topic is 4849 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, Even though this may not be related to game development, I still would love your opinions on this one. As I had mentioned in one of my earlier topics regarding suggestions for a project. A professor at my college has suggested me something which sounds really interesting & I am planning to pick it up. Well since I was begging him to give me something to work in graphics, here are the two topics which he suggested. The first one I am really interested in is 1) Modeling the Solar System Here’s the synopsis that I wrote :- The project will re-create our solar system. All the planets will be represented in 3-dimension either made in a 3D editing tool (3D Studio Max or Maya) or 3- Dimensional primitives (Sphere) textured. Based on the orbits which the planets will follow , it will give out the occasions on which either a solar or lunar eclipse will take place. The planet earth will be divided into 8 sections to limit the scope of the project ,the project will also say at which section the eclipse will be observed & the necessary details such as date (& if possible the time).A zoom in / out function will be added so that the user can have a panoramic view of the entire system . Language used to demonstrate this will be Win32 & C/C++ for the core, supplemented with one of the API’s namely Microsoft’s Direct-X or OpenGl. 2) Making A Fern using Fractals I haven’t looked into this topic at all, but I believe it is something which can be done in good old C/C++ graphics. Since the topic being a part of my curriculum, the professor deferred the discussion when we encounter it. Before I dive into the questions I have , I would like to explain what all I know , I know quite some of C++ , I have worked with numerous languages like java , c# , but the knowledge of each one of them is kind of superficial , I don’t know either of them in detail. But I am through various concepts of programming , OOP , but as mentioned I haven’t muscled my way through anything complicated. Out of interest I had started out with DirectX & a bit of Win32, as of now I can only work around with loading bitmaps & animating them. Actually up to the 8th chapter of La-Mothe’s tricks book, which explains concepts like double buffering, line algorithms etc. I was hoping to have a longer run with the 2D stuff before I picked up 3D , but this has come up out of no where and I need to submit my synopsis as soon a possible. I have just assumed about the planets can be either shown as textured or loaded from 3D models , I m not aware of either of the processes .I have other extensions to the project thought up , but I at least need to get the bare basics I mentioned above up & running. Here are some things which i would like to know , what kind of complexity does the task I have mentioned above hold , some ideas were just brainstormed so I haven’t given them much thought , neither have I worked in 3D , so my train of thought may not hold up. Given time to work on the project is around 5 months, so considering someone with average skills , is it possible to pick up the 1st mentioned project , since it really interests me. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Advertisement
Simulating the solar system would be straightforward and you would learn a lot. I think the eclipse predictions would be the hard part, but maybe that would just be a matter of finding some code written somewhere.

A 2D fractal fern generator would be pretty easy to implement. If you don't want to commit to something you might not be able to finish, this would be a good project.

I agree with JohnBolton.

Also, you should modify your signiture to:
1) Remove the extra blank lines at the end, and...
2) Use HTML tags to print smaller text, like JohnBolton's signiture has.

Its not a huge deal, but sigs that take up a lot of space are generally frowned upon by the mods and other forum members.

Here's a sample sig, feel free to use it:

<hr />"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."<font size=1> -- Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943</font>

It looks like this:

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." -- Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

Good luck

Thanks for the replys guys , i was only worried about it being possible techinically for a fairly starter profile.
@Ravyne : thanks, i never had the idea , html was being used to format the sigs :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!