• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
swinchen

GUI for a map maker, or menu for in game

This topic is 4857 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone, I am just looking for a little advice this time. Almost every game has some form of GUI and I am trying to play around with it myself.. I have a few options and would just like recommendations from people have actually used/made one before. I have a few options. I am using OpenGL w/ GLFW (this is flexible though) #1) Create the GUI class from scratch in OGL... (ugh?) #2) Use something like SDL and it's primatives to make a GUI class (similiar to how it is done in Data Structures for Game Programmers) #3) Maybe use something like LibUFO, Guichan, or FLTK (although I am not sure if this does what I need it to do) What do you recommend? If it is a library option which one? If you need more information from me let know. I have never really designed much for GUI's so this might be a new experience for me. Thanks, Sam

Advertisement
If you want to complete a game which has a GUI in it, use a GUI such as FLTK (or one of the vast number of alternatives of course).

If you want to write a GUI, that's another matter. Mines written in SDL and OpenGL, and is very simple, but does what I want how I want and I can change it when I need to. Base class = rectangular region. Derive text. Derive button. Derive editable text. A radio button is just a button and a text item. A set of radio buttons is exactly that. It all just falls into place, and it's an interesting excercise in OO design. It's also completely pointless if you can just use someone elses library :)

Thank you for the response.

My primary concern with FLTK is that it looks like it geared more towards drawing traditional GUIs vs. Game GUIs

I will look into it and see what is involved with creating items on a OGL viewport.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!