Very newbie questions

Started by
9 comments, last by tHiSiSbOb 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi everyone! I'm an experienced web developer now thinking about creating a football manager game(like Champ.Manager). I've developed several of these games before(in Windows/DOS), but now I would like to make a more professional solution. I've only just started thinking about this and a couple of important questions arise: 1. I don't want the game to be a standard WinApp with the standard GUI-objects. In what mode do I make "real" games? I'm using C# with VS.Net2003. Are these games standard ConsoleApps? 2. Could anyone give me a hint how to create professional GUI objects? I'm only used to develope software in Windows/web-world with the standard GUI objects, but now I need customized, professional object(like textbox, button, lists, etc.) If anyone could give me some hints where to look and/or what to look for I would be very happy. Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
To make a "real game," you will most likely want to create a Windows App. For GUI and stuff, that depends on a few things. Most games don't use the Windows GUI, they have their own coded by the programmers. There may also be some libraries out there to help you implement a gui.
----------------------------------------------------"Plant a tree. Remove a Bush" -A bumper sticker I saw.
Thank's a lot for the quick answer!!

Then I have an another question:
If I create a winapp, the game will run in "windows-mode" with the taskbar etc.
A "Real" game seems to run in an another mode(not the windows environment). That's why I assumed the games were created in a console-mode.

Does anyone know more about this?

Does anyone know about classed/libraries the GUI are created in?

Thanks!
In Win32, you can define what your window will look like. I'm not sure of the exact code to get rid of the menus, but I'm almost positive there's a way to make a regular fullscreen game without the menus, like a "real" game.
Quote:Original post by frodestenersen
A "Real" game seems to run in an another mode(not the windows environment).

Are you talking about a fullscreen game? It's still running in the windows environment. It's still recieving messages from Windows and whatnot. Not sure exactly what you're talking about here.
There are some things so stupid that only an intellect could believe them.
Thank you! I'm getting closer :-)

I'm happy for every hints and tips I can get.
POLSKASH:
Yeah, I guess I'm looking for a "fullscreen"-game. So I understand the game runs in windows environment and to develope in such mode I create a standard Win32-app, right?
But can I create Win32-apps in C#? .Net Framework is necessary. I prefer not to use C++...
To draw graphics in a fullscreen environment, your best bet is to use a graphics API.

Since you're using C#, you'll probably want to use managed directX (download here.)

This seems to be a nice tutorial, however, I haven't read it all.

HTH.
Thank you desertcube. I guess DirectX will be the right think to look at.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement