• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kappa

How did the artists from the old 2d adventure games do those backgrounds?

This topic is 4849 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How were the backgrounds to the old adventure games (like monkey island 1&2 etc..) created? they couldn't have been pixeled for hand could they? were they painted and scanned?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by kappa
they couldn't have been pixeled for hand could they?
Oh yes they could, they most definetly could.

That's not to say that they weren't sketched on paper first, or even scanned in a few rare cases to get a starting point, but they still had to be drawn and adjusted pixel-for-pixel. This is especially true for older games (such as Monkey Island) because they used a very limited palette (probably 32 colors).
Some of the older newer games looks like they've largely been scanned though, Beneath a Steel Sky for example.

If you want to see something truly scary check out the Metal Slug series instead..

edit: Stupid typo..

[Edited by - doynax on August 5, 2005 6:16:20 PM]

Beneath a steel sky was aaaaages after monkey island though, and came on a whacking 15 disks (or one cd.. at a time when no-one could afford cd-roms :D )
but yes, most games of that era were hand-drawn pixel images.

to give you an idea of the industry standard tools at that point, the games Another World and Flashback were considered cutting edge due to their use of rotoscoping.. which is basically tracing ;)

and the Metal Slug games look fantastic, i'm not sure they'd have the same appeal with a more "modern" look.

Quote:
Original post by Very_Metal
Beneath a steel sky was aaaaages after monkey island though, and came on a whacking 15 disks (or one cd.. at a time when no-one could afford cd-roms :D )
I meant newer of course.. My own version came on a CD toghether with Dune 2 and UFO Enemy unkown and F14 Fleet Defender, by far the best game purchase I've ever made.
It's even been released as freeware recently, the voice samples alone are worth the download if you used to play the floppy version.
Quote:
Original post by Very_Metal
to give you an idea of the industry standard tools at that point, the games Another World and Flashback were considered cutting edge due to their use of rotoscoping.. which is basically tracing ;)
Cutting edge? The C64 games Leaderboards Golf (86) and 10th Frame (86) used the same technology, as did Prince of Persia (89).
As for the remaining tools I'm willing to bet that 90% of the pixels of that era were drawn in Deluxe Paint.

ooooh... the good old days ;)
I just love metal slug - and all the other neo geo games! They were pixelated as the other ones said. I'm not sure if everyone agrees, but I think metal slug looks much better than most of the modern games... but that's perhaps because I'm a bit nostalgic - and I love pixelated gfx ;)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!