• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
cyric74

Slow load of large PNG textures?

This topic is 4851 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm currently working on an isometric combat sim, but am having some trouble with very slow loading animation sprite sheets. A single unit's sheet is a 2048x2048 1.8-2.2 meg .PNG. I'm using Managed DirectX, and have the textures set as an embedded resource in a .DLL--I pass the .DLL a hashtable to load them in, and then use the hashtable for all draw calls that require that texture. I can load and unload textures from the hashtable that aren't currently being used, but my problem is loading and re-loading these large animation sheets without slowing down the play experience. What is the best method for me to load these texture files? Is it more smooth to break them into, say, 512x512 sheets? Or is my current method of loading a problem in general? I load textures using Texture.FromStream with Usage.AutoGenerateMipMap and Pool.Managed. Thanks in advance, Cyric74

Advertisement
You're probably going to want to save your sprite sheets in smaller textures. My radeon 9800 has a max texture size of 2048x2048, but I don't think older cards can handle such large textures.

I really don't plan on releasing anything for another year at the very least, and it was my understanding that the 'average' gamer's graphics card currently can support 2048x2048. While cutting the textures up is an option, I was wondering what other solutions may be acceptable as far as loading goes.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!