MS not supporting GL in longhorn?

Started by
145 comments, last by _the_phantom_ 18 years, 8 months ago
According to www.OpenGL.org Microsoft is planning on dropping true OpenGL support in Windows Vista. According to the post on OpenGL.org, " * OpenGL performance will be significantly reduced - perhaps as much as 50% * OpenGL on Windows will be fixed at a vanilla version of OpenGL 1.4 * No extensions will be possible to expose future hardware innovations "... All that said, WTF?! - Kevin B
Advertisement
I don't know all the details, but if that is true, then this is going to anger a lot of people. I am wondering if this applies only to the windows interface or all OpenGL applications. Also, will you be able to install OpenGL 2.0 anyway?
....[size="1"]Brent Gunning
is the post on OpenGL.org in question.

There is now a source for the infomation and another link about it all (which I've not read at this moment, i'm about to however...)
It's another doomsday news, it's not going to happen...

Do you know how many Universities arround the world use Windows XP and OpenGL on their simulators and technical visualization tools? It's huge!

And we're not talking simple OpenGL apps, there is a lot of GPGpu development going on...

I've stopped crediting these news a long time ago, they don't maky any sense at all...
To state it plain and simple, it's pure bullshit pulled from the butt a foaming at the mouth lunatic who doesn't even understand what he's ranting about. Microsoft does not control OpenGL. The absolute worst they could do is not include a generic OpenGL driver. And frankly that wouldn't make one bit of difference - real OpenGL support is handled by optimized drivers provided with your video card.

Ati and NVidia determine OpenGL performance on your computer, not Microsoft. Microsoft's OpenGL driver isn't very fast on current versions of Windows, mainly because it's a generic driver with no way of knowing how to best take advantage of specific cards.
If the whole story is based on stuff like this, then I don't think we need to worry about anything except the retardedness of the average internet user.
the rug - funpowered.com
So...

How long before it appears on Slashdot and everyone assumes it must be true?

And the gamingforums post is mind bogglingly stupid. Anybody who believes that page is a dumbass, pure and simple.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Reading through the quoted 'original' source in the forum, the vocabulary is sorely lacking, "OpenGL won't be as good anymore". I chalk it up to fiction.. some previously issued material 'reinterpreted'.
I set the clouds in motion, turn up light and sound...Activate the window, and watch the world go 'round
Quote:Original post by The Rug
If the whole story is based on stuff like this, then I don't think we need to worry about anything except the retardedness of the average internet user.

OMG what a forum. I think I've been spoiled by the (usually) good behaviour of GameDevers....God bless you all.
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
3DLabs just confirmed this in the OpenGL forum. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap.
"... we should have such an empire for liberty as she has never surveyed since the creation ..."Thomas Jefferson

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement