• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ebray99

OpenGL MS not supporting GL in longhorn?

This topic is 4948 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

But what about my point of shipping OGL games on a Linux boot disk? If only as an option for higher performance. If people start doing it now, while Linux drivers are still pretty good, then we can beat MicroShaft's monopoly. Soon the IHVs will be coerced to make better drivers, performance will keep going up, and MS will be left in the dust in every way. You also, via the game engine, get a nice HW accelerated GUI basically free. You can hook this into Linux, and allow the user a full Linuk desktop experance as an option, further eroding the MS mindshare. It's the perfect plan, well mostly.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by DudeMiester
But what about my point of shipping OGL games on a Linux boot disk? If only as an option for higher performance. If people start doing it now, while Linux drivers are still pretty good, then we can beat MicroShaft's monopoly. Soon the IHVs will be coerced to make better drivers, performance will keep going up, and MS will be left in the dust in every way. You also, via the game engine, get a nice HW accelerated GUI basically free. You can hook this into Linux, and allow the user a full Linuk desktop experance as an option, further eroding the MS mindshare. It's the perfect plan, well mostly.

I don't mean any offence, but little indie games are not going to sway the average population to run games off a boot disk. Good luck with putting pressure on IHVs as they aren't going to make profit from selling the odd card for a Linux box. If you think any major studios would attempt this than you are out of your mind :) Contrary to the belief of others, the majority of end-users, gamers, and developers are not anti-Windows and actually like Microsoft and their software.

Why not? As I said it can be optional. I does mean they'll have to have a Linux port, but we know Epic and iD, two major powerhouses already do that. I doubt it would be tremendously more work to integrate a boot disk into it, and it would give them some OS security, some more leverage. It would be great marketing too. "Free dedicated gamer OS included!!!111!" I'm not anti-windows either, heck I don't use Linux at all, but I do want a choice.

Quote:
Why not? As I said it can be optional.

As I said the mid to major studios wouldn't do this and the IHVs wouldn't either. Both ID and Epic lost money on their ports and I would highly doubt you'll actually see any more of those. And you are also talking like video card drivers are the only issue here as well.

why bitch? why not make dx cross platform?
sure fuckin M$oft are evil and want to monopolize everything, but that hasnt stopped projects like wine
so, why not make an official multimedia library for linux and mac (wine and wineX, i consider hacks) that has the exactly same C++ API as DX?
hell, that'll make MANY, and i mean MANY, games cross platform, cuz aside some minor reprogramming, all ull have to do is hit compile and viola: ur game now works on linux

Quote:

Yes, and where would your boot disc fit all the device drivers to actually use hardware? And what would you do when someone released a new video card?

I think it's 0.0000000000000001% (due to floating point math errors) likely that this is feasible.

I'm not trying to Microsoft bash, I think that XP is a good OS, too good for their own good as far as Vista adoption is concerned. At this rate, I don't think that Vista is going to get a very good reception, every few weeks I read about another major feature dropped (WinFS, Avalon, Monad) and it seems that all that it is now is XP with HW-accelerated eyecandy that won't let you run your OpenGL apps at full speed. Since XP with SP2 works well for average users, what is the incentive to update? If power users want to update a lot of them are migrating to Linux and the new MacTel.

I don't think this kills OpenGL, actually I think it'll hurt Microsoft more, especially if this helps Vista become another WinME fiasco.

also:

Quote:
Original post by Nypyren

Yes, and where would your boot disc fit all the device drivers to actually use hardware? And what would you do when someone released a new video card?

I think it's 0.0000000000000001% (due to floating point math errors) likely that this is feasible.

I think the main obstacle wouldn't be space, the only drivers that would be necessary are input drivers, network drivers and video drivers. There is plenty of room on a CD/DVD to fit most of the common drivers, and as long as the network drivers are there the game could fetch the other drivers. There are a lot of Operating Systems that fit on a CD which support most hardware (sans 3D acceleration) without searching for drivers.

The trouble would be IMO more along the lines of keeping video card drivers up to date, that is assuming all legal issues were settled with nVidia/ATI so that you could even package the drivers on your CD.

Of course, downloading current drivers automatically would be an option, but doing that every time you boot to play the game? Sounds tedious.

Well obviously you're going to have to cache data on the HD for saved games, configs, etc, so just cache the drivers too. You don't even need to store any more then basic networking drivers, and maintain a database of drivers on the server end not unlike Windows Update. I mean if waiting for HL2 to unlock is ok, then dling a few drivers on first boot is nothing.

I'm probably missing something here, but surely if an opengl application is in full screen mode with the graphics card full attention then it doesn't matter what the desktop is set at or what it is doing, because it's not sharing any screen or having to play nice with other windows?

Quote:
Original post by caesar4
so, why not make an official multimedia library for linux and mac (wine and wineX, i consider hacks) that has the exactly same C++ API as DX?

Because (surprise, surprise) Microsoft doesn't want to.

This topic is 4948 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.