• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
frankypoo

showing/hiding the cursor

This topic is 4854 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i'm going for the world of warcraft style camera, where when you hold both mouse buttons, you control the direction of your character as he moves forward. The mouse is automatically centered and the cursor disapears while you're doing this, and once you let go of both mouse buttons, the cursor reappears (in the center of the screen). So in my game I used the regular ol ShowCursor(bool) and SetCursorPos(int, int) functions; however, it takes sooo long for the cursor to dissapear and reappear. I figure IDirect3DDevice8::ShowCursor would be much faster, but for some reason I can't get it to work. I plug it in, and it compiles fine.. it just doesn't actually make the cursor dissappear/reappear. Is there some initialization that I need to do beforehand or something?

Advertisement
It might be buffered frames, DX buffers 3 frames by default, there is a way to flush it, though I forget how right now.

Check the debug output - it you aren't doing something right, it will definetly be in there. Also, if you just can't figure it out, you could always just draw the cursor yourself using ID3DXSprite. If you are interesting in doing animated cursors, that approach may be slightly easier.

Quote:
Original post by frankypoo
IDirect3DDevice8::ShowCursor would be much faster, but for some reason I can't get it to work.

Check out SetCursorProperties. I believe you must call that before any of the other D3D cursor commands will work.

Hi there Frankypoo,

[Using Managed DirectX]
Or you could use managed directx and C# and hide the cursor using Cursor.Hide();

Stay cool.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!