• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kelcharge

OpenGL OpenGL game engine?

This topic is 4847 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
"easy" and "graphics engine" are usually not the most compatible of words. That said, what do you want it for? Are you looking at making a game? Is this just for kicks, learning how the engine works? Knowing your intention can help us help you.

Also, it's a relatively certain thing that any time a graphics related term contains "GL", it's implemented with OpenGL.

Usually when using a ready-made graphics engine it's not much of a concern which API it uses, because the API is abstracted by the interface that the engine provides.
Many engines are designed API independently, and often provide a way of easily plugging in a new API.
I recommend Ogre.

allegrogl uses opengl... But algl isn't very good choice... I use it my engine because of legacy 2D gui (which use allegro). If I wanted to start new 3D engine I would go for SDL. It's portable and very simple

I would like it for making games. Also I would like something that could maybe simplify OpenGL a bit making it an easy transition later. Something that can produce 3 dimensional games and is closely related to OpenGL.

AllegGL is nothing more than a OpenGL wrapper for allegro, with some special functions provided to allow texture conversions, uploading, etc. It not only uses OpenGL, it IS OpenGL.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Usually when using a ready-made graphics engine it's not much of a concern which API it uses, because the API is abstracted by the interface that the engine provides.
Yes but not all engines will support multiple API's for example DirectX and OpenGL. If it only uses openGL or DirectX there ARE concerns.

An openGL engine will have driver problems on windows machines and a DirectX engine will be locked to windows machines (so no Mac games).

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Yes but not all engines will support multiple API's for example DirectX and OpenGL.

Not all engines, no. But I did provide an example (Ogre) where multiple API support is the case. In any case it seems that you've misunderstood, because DirectX and OpenGL are not engines. They are application programming interfaces.

Quote:

If it only uses openGL or DirectX there ARE concerns.

If it *only* uses OpenGL or DirectX? OpenGL and DirectX (Direct3D, really) are the only (non-obsolete) 3D graphics APIs I'm aware of. Are there more?

Quote:

An openGL engine will have driver problems on windows machines and a DirectX engine will be locked to windows machines (so no Mac games).

Driver problems on Windows machines? What problems exactly? You're right about DirectX, however. Cross-platform support might be your only concern, but if the engine supports OpenGL, then you're safe.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!