• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Bitem2k

Scene Management/Collision Detection

This topic is 4852 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Theres a few things that i still dont understand with regards to management of my scene; 1) When dividing my scene into some sort of tree (bsp octree,etc..) Where do i get the data from? Do i retrieve it from a vertex buffer? Or maybe i am meant to have a collection of object mesh's that i put into a tree? 2) once i have that data in a tree, when doing collisions on the level terrain how do i know which part of the terrain ive hit? (i.e wall floor hole)... If someone could explain the following to me i would appr. it greatly, as i am stumped! Thanks

Advertisement
1) You use whatever data you have available. If you only have a vertex buffer available, then you'll have to go with that. Use whatever splitting-up technique is best suited for your situation (kd-tree, bsp, octtree, quadtree, something else that I've never heard of, etc)

2) I had this exact same problem in a game I'm working on. What we had to do was mark the material identifier for certain parts of the world as "WALL" because there was no geometric way to determine what a triangle was given just the collision information. This requires that you have some additional data associated with each triangle (like a material) that you can check after you hit the triangle. Usually, the artist creating the scene will be the one in charge of setting these special markers.

Thanks for the reply!

Ok what you say about the material makes sense! however if i was using the tree for not just coll detection but also for frustrum culling, if all my data is in a vertex buffer would that mean that i would have to 'hand' draw the visible bits of mesh using directx's draw primitive method?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!