• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
TriSwords

Lack of Focus

This topic is 4854 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am trying to figure out how to structure this so that it doesnt hop around to much... I can never really finish a game. I start one, then either run into a a big problem I never thought of, or just fade away from it. Does anyone else have this problem? I mean I learn tons, last thing I did was learn how to use SQL with Java and the JDBC. I am now back to migrating to C++. I have made a very very simple text based console game in C++. And part of a Magic the Gathering type CCG game that could connect 2 people using Java. Right now I bought the OpenGl Superbible and I am trucking along through that at an okay pace. I never really have a huge problem, other than time to sit down and work with it. I leave for college in a week, so I figure Ill have even less time once Im up there. School, Work, Fraternity and Research. So my time might be limited... Is it okay that I write part of a game, learn something big from it (networking, 2d graphics, a new library for the language, sql connects, ect.) and then drop it? Or would it be better for me to really sit down and try to write a full game. I want to persure a CS degree with a minor in math (I am hoping, since I love to program and have AP credit for CS I and II), but if I never complete anything other than school work/projects, am I doomed to fail in the end? In either getting a cs degree or finding a job in the gaming(I really want to, but stuff I read makes me sometimes doubt I can get into the game industry), or even just getting a job putting a cs degree to use? Thanks TS

Advertisement
I think that it's always great to write a full game, because then your non-programmer friends can actually see that you are doing something way cool, although you knew it all along. However, if you are just trying to teach yourself, it doesn't really matter. I drop projects ALL the time. All IMHO, of course.

I made tons of half-finished games before I actually finished a project bigger than tetris. I've found that choosing a topic that you've been interested in all your life to make the game about is the best way to actually finish a project.

As far as what would be better, making a full game or learning bit by bit, I'd say a bit of both. A couple of my finished games have spawned from me trying out a new idea and then adding gameplay to it.

Good Luck!

In fact, after three years of programming (by myself, with no classes, to give you a picture of my situation) in C++, I am just, tonight, finishing up the gameplay in my first real game, a worms/nibbles clone with multiplayer. I cut features and things that I originally planned, because I just really wanted to get a real game out there, finally, and have something to be proud of. Anyways, hope you got some helpful answers.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!