ANSI C++ : Why such a vast difference in executable size on differnent platforms?

Started by
15 comments, last by random_thinker 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi All, I've written a program in C++ and compiled it on three platforms. There is a vast difference in program size, particularly on Mac OSX 10.2.8. Linux Gentoo (the primary development platform) g++ v3+ with -ansi -O3 -s size: 240k. WinXP MinGW g++ v3+ with -ansi -O3 -s size: 520k. MacOSX 10.2.8 g++ v3+ with -ansi -O3 (won't accept -s or -x) size: 3.2mb !! I don't understand this unless it has something to do with dynamic c++ std libraries on my Mac. Why has this happened? --random
--random_thinkerAs Albert Einstein said: 'Imagination is more important than knowledge'. Of course, he also said: 'If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith'.
Advertisement
I do know that with XP + MinGW part of the issue is the static linking of the standard library - don't know about Mx OSX. Does mac have strip? Also, although I'm not an expert on the compiler options, -g0 may help... IIRC my Eclipse IDE adds this in it's "release" mode with the managed makefile projects...

Most of this overhead is once-per executable rather than a percentage increase, so I wouldn't worry too terribly much about it...
--Mauling

Thanks for your info. I thought that the -s or -x linker option was for strip. The Mac won't accept this setting, although Linux and WinXP/MinGW will.

Time-wise, with regard to random number speed tests, the Gentoo Linux OS is about 10% faster than the WinXP/MinGW executable ( I run these OS's as dual boot systems ). This is really negligible, and could be explained by the way I'm carryiing out the tests. The MacOSX is on a laptop and really can't be compared time-wise, as it is a much slower machine.

I'll have a look at the -g0 compiler option. It just seems strange that the executable can be larger by more than a factor of 10. I know that OSX 10.2 is really built around Objective C and may be lacking in C++ dynamic libraries.

I can't comment on the new Tiger OS with Mac with XCode, maybe it has a more complete set of C++ libraries.

--random
--random_thinkerAs Albert Einstein said: 'Imagination is more important than knowledge'. Of course, he also said: 'If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith'.
When I say that Mac won't accept -s or -x, I mean that these are valid g++ v3+ compiler options, but when used on the Mac I get tons of symbol-related error statements, and the program won't compile and link. When these flags are removed, the program compiles and links without any errors on the Mac.

--random
From the GCC(1) manpage
Quote:
-Os Optimize for size. -Os enables all -O2 optimizations that do not
typically increase code size. It also performs further optimiza-
tions designed to reduce code size.

Also, statically linking should increase size, dynamically linking should decrease size.

EDIT: Yes, OS X has the strip command.
Have you tried stripping after having compiled the program, using strip?
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Here are my flags copied verbatim from the Makefiles:

For Linux makefile:

LNXCCFLAGS = -g -c -O3 -fforce-addr -ffast-math -Wall -ansi -pipe
LNXLDFLAGS = -s

For Mac OSX makefile:

OSXCCFLAGS = -g -c -O3 -fforce-addr -ffast-math -Wall -Wno-long-double -ansi -pipe
OSXLDFLAGS = # Do not use -s or -x here.

I tried -s and -x on the Mac, with fatal error. I'll try -0s on the Mac (thanks Robo) and see what happens.

--random
Hi All

Here's some interesting results; using the -Os flag on the Mac reduced the program size from:

3.2 mb to 1.7 mb.

I also tested the speed of random number generation and the -Os flag has also improved the speed over the -O3 version by about 5 to 10%!

So the -Os flag cut the size by about a factor of 2 and has improved performance by about 5 to 10%.

--random
I'll try to re-introduce the -s or -x flag and see what happens.

--random
Again on the Mac, when using the -s option, I get the following linker message:

"ld: can't use -s with input files containing indirect symbols (output file must contain at least global symbols, for maximum stripping use -x)"

This message is not there when I make the file on Linux and WinXP/MinGW. Any thoughts?

--random

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement