Basic questions about MD3 format

Started by
4 comments, last by Mari_p 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi, Please, could someone help me with the following basic questions? 1) Does MD3 format store vertex normals or they must be generated by programming? (for a Gouraud shading) 2) Where could I find the structure (the layout) of the MD3 file? 3) Can MD3 files be exported in both text and binary types, like the X files? Thanks in advance
Advertisement
I found this article about the MD3 format.
I am pretty certain that the normals are not exported with MD3 at least not in the tarational XYZ form. Its been awhile since I used the format though. So could be a lapse in memory playing here.

MD3 is a binary format, its created by exporting the model from 3DSMax to an .ASE file, the pop'n'fresh or ID's older converter tool is then run over the .ase file to convert it to the binary format. .ASE is a text format so to answer your question in an indirect manner, you can have the format as txt and binary.
Thanks for the answers.

It's very interesting to know that MD3 is based on an ASE format.
Considering that an ASE (ASCII Scene Export) file can store the vertex normals, it is strange MD3 not to contain them...
export
But I agree with you, lubby: The normals are not exported in MD3 or there is something wrong with them, at least in my shading tests.
Quote:Original post by Mari_p
The normals are not exported in MD3 or there is something wrong with them, at least in my shading tests.

Read the article linked to by SKATIN_HARD, particularly the very end. The normals are stored as spherical coordinates (longitude, latitude). You have to convert them to cartesian coordinates (x,y,z).

Quote:Original post by directrix
Read the article linked to by SKATIN_HARD, particularly the very end. The normals are stored as spherical coordinates (longitude, latitude). You have to convert them to cartesian coordinates (x,y,z).

Sorry friends, I had not gotten to see that link on this computer. I thought the link was not working. I will open it on another computer. Thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement