windows debugger

Started by
4 comments, last by Oziphantom 18 years, 8 months ago
Hey I'm using the visual studio c++ toolkit, and I need a debugger for it. The only one I know of is the windows debugger. So I set up the compiler to make the pdb files, and made sure it was the same name as the exe. But the debuuger refuses to find the symbols(even thought the search path is correct), and hence I can't debug anything. Any ideas what I'm wrong?
Advertisement
What's "the Windows debugger"? ntsd.exe? windbg?
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
WinDBG should find the symbols if the paths are right. If it doesn't, try a ".sym noisy" followed by a ".reload" and see what it says.

(Or is one of those a ! command? I forget)
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
windbg
OllyDebugger
Its free, and super, super good. I actually have a copy that has been patched by a cracking group (i know, pirating stuff, etc,etc. well its free, so its not pirating.) so a few of its bugs have been fixed. Anyways, if you want that copy, let me know, otherwise, here is the linky
.sym noisy doesn't work, and I have tried a relod from the set paths option as well. It is as if it does not used the pdb at all.

OllyDebugger works, but trying to trace an entire game engine with tempalates in compiler genereated assembly is going to be very difficult. Especially when I'm using another 3d engine with its call and not win32 system calls. Although it might come handy when I'm in a real pinch. Unless their is something I'm missing that lets it load in c++ source code as well?

Apparently the visual compilers have a new format COFF, which can be read by gccDBG, but I can not see any option in the visual debugger to enable this formats output.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement